how to make image of osx hard disk? can't boot into osx

kuliand

4 posts in this topic

hi i need to know how make an image of my osx hard disk without being able to boot osx? I can't boot osx due to me messing up the graphics kexts while trying to get an 24" lcd working so now even when i boot using my old crt all i get is a light blue square so i want to make an image of my hard disk so i can recover my emails, podcasts etc when i have re-installed osx.

im currently using ubuntu livecd which i have been able to mount my osx hard disk but i can't get to the files and folders i want due not having the correct permissions.

thanks kuliand

edit: i want to put the image on my usb hard disk if that makes a difference

why don't you just install a new OSX on the USB disk and then once you have it up and running, go and edit the kexts on your original drive! You can then reboot to your original drive with the problem fixed!

sticMAN

I didn't think of that, so howeasy is it to install osx to a usb hard drive then? won't i have to install the boot info on my main hard disk still?

edit: here's the link to grpahics problem http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124257

Ok i tired installing osx onto my usb hard drive but had no luck so in the end i used gparted live cd to copy my osx HD to my usb HD which i thought had worked since i booted into ubuntu and i could see the osx file structure ok but still had the problem of not being able to access the files i want due to the permissions but i thought once i had re-installed osx i could copy the files no problem but osx doesn't even recognize that there is a file system on the usb HD at all it just give me the option to format it or ignore it, so what now? the files must be there so there has to be way to get them off.

thanks kuliand