My NTFS drives won't show up in Leopard?

ruckus328

8 posts in this topic

First off, please excuse me if this topic has already been covered elsewhere. I did some searching on the forum with no prevail. I'm somewhat of a mac noob, but have now successfully instaled Kalyway 10.5.2 on two different systems. The first system install went great with no issues whatsoever. The second has not been so easy. After 3 days of firghting with the PC, I finally prevailed, however there is one major issue I need to resolve...

Here's the deal, I have 4 partitions:

1st partition: WinXP Boot Drive (120GB NTFS)

2nd partition: Leopard Boot Drive (80GB)

3rd partition: Data drive (200GB NTFS)

4th partition: Data drive (200GB NTFS)

When I boot into Leo, I can see my 120GB WinXP Partition (I have not installed MACFUSE yet so I cannot write to it yet but I can read it), however my two data drives don't show up anywhere.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Are they hiding somewhere and I just need to look in the right place? Is it because they are NTFS (but then why would one of them show up?) On my first Hackintosh machine all of my NTFS drives showed up (although they were approx 30GB in size). The only thing I can think of is because of the partition size - 200GB. Could this be the issue? If anyone can assist me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, just want to confirm one thing - once I do get them to display if I install MACFUSE I will able to read/write to them, correct? The alternative would be to format my data drives as FAT32? Is there any benefit to doing it one way or the other?

It's a known bug that the drives won't show up??? Or that you can't write to NTFS drives?

I know that I can't write to the NTFS drives. And I would be happy just formatting the two data drives to FAT32 since that might be the safer route to go - that way I can read and write to them from OSX and XP.

But even if I format them to FAT32, the fact remains that I cannot see them in OSX..........

OK, I got it. Macfuse and NTFS-3G installed, I could then read/write to the one NTFS drive I could see, but it still didn't cause my other 2 partitions to show up.

Turned out I needed to enable AHCI in the bios. After that they showed right up in OSX and now I can write to them as well. Awesome!