Best compatible gaming video card

7 posts in this topic

Im getting ready to start a hackintosh project and am hung up on the video card.

Ideally I want to dual boot into windows xp/vista and I need a good gaming card for windows.

It may still be a long wait for HD4850/4870 drivers. I see a lot of 8800 GT builds. Is an 8800 GTX or something the best hackintosh supported card at this time? Which do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

thanks for the reply, my concern right now is the state of the graphics card market. the new cards are much faster than the stuff thats already out.

i dont want to spend 150-200 on a card thats slower just because of the drivers. im thinking an 8800 gtx or something. but even with that card im unsure.

sorry to be naive but why couldnt i use both gpus? would a gtx be capable of handling with a fast proc and enough ram almost any pc game thrown at it?

in 1920x1080 resolution.

the gx2 is more than i want to spend for a card.

thanks

9800GX2

No. The gain from the GX2 isn't worth it, and the 2 cores don't work fully together in SLI under Osx86. So, when you buy the card and use it in windows, sli, but when you use it in osx86, you're only getting really the use of a single 9800.

8800gt is good for budget, but for around $200, I'd say the 9800.