dell inspiron 6000 vs. iAtkos 4

letfeardomring

6 posts in this topic

Okay. I am using iAtkos 4 because that is the only version I have on this computer (the functioning one). All the others will take a week before they arrive/complete.

I used GetParted, created a new partition on my laptop HD. It is 70 gig, formated hfs+. When I boot using the iAtkos 4 DVD, open disk util and select the hard drive it says that it is using Master Boot Record for its partition map scheme.

That volume has two partitions, and the one I created for OS X has the following info:

Mount Point: /Volumes/leopard

format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

owners enabled: Yes

ok...now OS X is installed on there from a previous install (i have tried several times... and erased before each attempt) so it is showing that there is 6.4 GB used.

Whenever Leopard finishes installing, it reboots... flashes the Dell logo for a minute (where i can hit f2 for bios, f12 to choose if i want to boot from HDD, DVDrom,etc) then I just get a blinking cursor/ a blinking underscore.

What am I doing wrong?

ps - I know iAtkos works b/c another member used it, but he also erased the disk originally with Kalyway 10.5.1's disk utility (not sure why) -- but I cannot get a non-corrupted version of Kalyway 10.5.1 either on my pc or on a DVD.

The blinking cursor happens a lot.....here is how you fix it.

1. Boot OSX DVD
  2. At count down press f8
  3. At boot prompt press -s much text will fill the screen....when finished you'll have a –sh-3.2# prompt
  4. At this prompt type the following: (each line, pressing enter for each line)
  5. fdisk –e /dev/rdisk0 this being a laptop you only have 1 HD, that is the "0" here
  6. flag 1 the "1" is for the first partition.......if another partition, change the #
  7. update
  8. write
  9. exit
  10. reboot

This should flag the first partition on the first hard drive active, and it should boot.

Good luck

Kenny

thanks kenny,

i tried that, but now i am getting "b0 error." i am now using kalyway 10.5.1, as i got that disk burned properly through resolution in this post -- which also describes going through the above and getting the "b0 error."

any other thoughts on how to be rid of the b0, as i have already flagged the second partition on the drive?

thanks!

The "b0 error" is caused by having no partitions active. This link should get you fixed. If it does not, do the steps again.....don't skip anything

Kenny

thanks for the continued support.

hmm.. your steps got rid of the b0 error this time. blinking cursor remained, so i did the steps in the above link, then did your steps again. i still have a blinking cursor though :\

thanks for the continued support.

hmm.. your steps got rid of the b0 error this time. blinking cursor remained, so i did the steps in the above link, then did your steps again. i still have a blinking cursor though :\

oh yea, on the making partition active process, after i typed "f 2" (my install is on the 2nd partition) and then "write" it says this:

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effec. OK? [n]

not sure if that is normal, but i typed "y" then it said:

writing MBR at offset 0

then i exited and restarted... to the blinking cursor