Kext not loading

MGJulius

2 posts in this topic

Hey OSX86 Community;

I finally got my nForce LAN card (using nForceEthernetController.kext) to work on my hackintosh but I get a weird problem.

Here's what I did:

1) Added my device id to the kext

2) Installed the kext using OSX86 Tools

3) Used OSX86 Tools to Repair Permissions; Set Extensions Permissions; Clear Extensions (Did them all at the same time so no clue what order it did them in)

4) Rebooted with -f

5) Rebooted fine but the nForceEthernetController.kext doesn't load when OS X starts. I have to kextload in the terminal to load it but then it works.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Specs are in signature

Thx in advance

Hey OSX86 Community;

I finally got my nForce LAN card (using nForceEthernetController.kext) to work on my hackintosh but I get a weird problem.

Here's what I did:

1) Added my device id to the kext

2) Installed the kext using OSX86 Tools

3) Used OSX86 Tools to Repair Permissions; Set Extensions Permissions; Clear Extensions (Did them all at the same time so no clue what order it did them in)

4) Rebooted with -f

5) Rebooted fine but the nForceEthernetController.kext doesn't load when OS X starts. I have to kextload in the terminal to load it but then it works.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Specs are in signature

Thx in advance

Hi there,

I think you need to confirm that the nForceEthernetController.kext works 100% with your nForce LAN card

0. Open Terminal

1. Type

tail -f /var/log/system.log

which will give debugging output for the initial run.

2. Open up a new Terminal window via the Terminal menu, and in this new window, type (assumes you have the nForceEthernetController.kext file on your Desktop)

cd ~/Desktop/nForceEthernetController

3. Then in sequence type each line and press Enter

sudo chown -R root:wheel nForceEthernetController.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 nForceEthernetController.kext
sudo kextload -v nForceEthernetController.kext

Check what is happening in the log window........if there are no error messages and the network link activates and at the expected speed, and you can browse websites without any problems, then the driver is working with your hardware.

However, if there are some problems, this is probably why the kext was not loaded at bootup. In which case, unload the kext by typing in Terminal

sudo kextunload forcedeth.kext

If it does work, then install the nForceEthernetController.kext and update the extensions cache by typing

sudo cp -R nForceEthernetController.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

or simply use Kext Helper b7 or OSx86Tools.....

Or, if the kext file is already in /System/Library/Extensions, then

sudo -s 
  sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/nForceEthernetController.kext  sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/nForceEthernetController.kext  rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Cacheskextcache -a i386 -K /mach_kernel -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

then reboot

Other alternatives:

1. You can place the nForceEthernetController.kext into the Plugins folder in the Contents sub-folder of the IONetworkingFamily.kext......

2. You can set up a Users Daemon in Lingon 2.1 with kextload nForceEthernetController.kext

3. I think you can modify the /etc/rc.common file.....my /etc folder only has rc.common and rc.netboot not rc.....

# load nForceEthernetController kext
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/nForceEthernetController.kext