PCIe and PCI graphics card in the same system

Kasakka

7 posts in this topic

I got a PCI Geforce 6200 128 MB graphics card so that I could use three monitors on my system. Now, the problem is that I can't get both my PCIe 8800 GT 512MB and the 6200 working at the same time.

With the 8800 GT I've used the 9f9 drivers from NvInstaller along with an EFI string installed using EFI studio. However, when I try to add a string for the 6200 I don't get the hex string you're supposed to add to the boot.plist file.

Can anyone help me fix this?

You'll probably neeed to build the plist manually & then convert it to hex before pasting it into com.apple.Boot.plist there are guides for this, mostly from back when pc-efi was new & still seemd pretty neat. inshort you need to find the PCI Root ID for each card & make an entry for each, and then fil it out with nvcap etc before running it all through gfxutil to generate the hex. you can probably shortcut some of this using EFIStudio, but essentially the old method is the one.

Good luck with this.

That's what I was afraid of. I found a supposedly modified version of EFIStudio that would give me a string for the 6200 but I still couldn't figure out how to get the right PCIroot ID.

Even though with just the PCI card in use it reported QE/CI working the system did feel a bit sluggish but that might be just because the card isn't very powerful. It's a bit sluggish in Vista too with a 1600x1200 res monitor but good enough for IRC, RSS feed reader etc non-graphically intensive stuff.

When I tried to use that string along with the 8800 string the system just stalls on startup after loading for a bit, probably due to the conflicting (same) PCIroot IDs.

All right, success! :)

Now I've got both cards working, QE/CI too. Had some trouble getting my HDTV to show anything though. For some reason it had reset all the picture settings to weird stuff (minimum everything etc) but after fiddling with the TV settings for a good while I now have the following setup: monitor 1: 1920x1200 (22"), monitor 2: 1920x1080 (40" HDTV, 1:1 mapping), monitor 3: 1600x1200 (21.3").

To get the cards to work in the first place what I did was follow http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=569 to the letter. For some reason I couldn't get working EFI strings by using EFI Studio exported XMLs (one for each card then put together into one file and device paths edited) but edited aquamac plists worked. I changed the device paths, VRAM sizes and NVCAPs where needed and got rid of the options (like the gpu-diode stuff) that didn't seem relevant. Another important thing was setting the "Init display first" to "PCI slot" instead of "PCIe" in BIOS. If it was not set it would not boot at all. As usual, extensions repair, permissions repair and cache deletion should be done too.

Trouble in paradise. :thumbsup_anim:

It seems that I get display corruption on the second monitor which also causes the whole system to stall to a crawl for a while. It seems that using things like Expose can trigger this. No errors appear in the console. I'm guessing this is a problem with the second graphics card. Possibly something wrong with the plist settings even though it seems ok in System Profiler.

Sunny weather back in paradise with some clouds.

Had to reinstall the whole damn OS. To get two cards working I had to get rid of any injectors or modified NV/GeForce kexts. Installed the 9f9 drivers from NvInstaller. But it's all good, now I've got the hdd's formatted to GUID with Vista/OSX dual boot working, the OSX drive partitioned with a more backup-friendly two partition scheme and so on.

EDIT: Still getting graphics corruption. Since it's limited to the one screen connected to the second graphics card, it seems that I either have some wrong settings in my plist or it could be overheating (passive cooled card in a water cooled system = not that much airflow) because it takes quite a while to happen.

• 5 months later...
Sunny weather back in paradise with some clouds.

Had to reinstall the whole damn OS. To get two cards working I had to get rid of any injectors or modified NV/GeForce kexts. Installed the 9f9 drivers from NvInstaller. But it's all good, now I've got the hdd's formatted to GUID with Vista/OSX dual boot working, the OSX drive partitioned with a more backup-friendly two partition scheme and so on.

EDIT: Still getting graphics corruption. Since it's limited to the one screen connected to the second graphics card, it seems that I either have some wrong settings in my plist or it could be overheating (passive cooled card in a water cooled system = not that much airflow) because it takes quite a while to happen.

Any luck on this? i'm running a pci-e 8800gt and a pci - 6200e...it randomly freezes up the second display just as you mentioned...