Striker II Extreme (790I Ultra) Possible ?

Mixpower

13 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if you are still interested.

I was able to boot, install and use an Asus Striker II NSE

My config:

the Asus Striker II NSE

a Quad Extreme 65nm Q6850 3.0GHZ processor

4 GB RAM 1333

the ADI audio card which comes with the board

an Hamlet 1Gb NIC (on board no way...)

an ATI HD3850 512MB

I've used iAtkos 2.0i with nForce kernel (nforce -v at DVD boot after F8) 10.5.2 distrib.

Works almost everything but the 2 Ethernet ports.

Need to boot from a IDE DVD driver (SATA DVD no way)

TODO:

Find a way to get Audio in working with ADI 1988B card, find a way to upgrade to 10.5.4 (or better to 10.5.5).

Need to test deeply the set up.

Don't know if you are still interested.

I was able to boot, install and use an Asus Striker II NSE

My config:

the Asus Striker II NSE

a Quad Extreme 65nm Q6850 3.0GHZ processor

4 GB RAM 1333

the ADI audio card which comes with the board

an Hamlet 1Gb NIC (on board no way...)

an ATI HD3850 512MB

I've used iAtkos 2.0i with nForce kernel (nforce -v at DVD boot after F8) 10.5.2 distrib.

Works almost everything but the 2 Ethernet ports.

Need to boot from a IDE DVD driver (SATA DVD no way)

TODO:

Find a way to get Audio in working with ADI 1988B card, find a way to upgrade to 10.5.4 (or better to 10.5.5).

Need to test deeply the set up.

Hi there,

Audio......try the Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer package from here.....

Use the Mysticus C* Updaters......PM me.....10.5.5 on its way too ...... :ninja:

Hi, thanx for the info.

Already in touch with him, and really appreciate the great job...

But after a couple of days of trying (not because was not working but since I do not know how many freezes and KP I had... and than I need to start back from 10.5.2...) a I've used a different approach.

Install iAtoks 4i with nforce kernel (no Ideneb, no Jas at least for what I've tested, hang on booting the DVD), and do the upgrade to 10.5.5 myself using the voodoo 9.4b1 kernel (here).

During this weekend seems it will available 9.5 kernel too (http://groups.google.com/group/xnu-dev/web/voodoo-9-5-0-kernel).

The 10.5.4 iAtkos with this board is really not stable (freezes a lot, too much, can be it is "old" 9.2 nforce kernel used in this distrib?) but upgrading to 10.5.5 with the 9.4b1 seems soled: at the moment, almost an entire day, crossing my finger, didn't freeze yet.

I've to take a look at Mysticus 10.5.5 updater when it will be stable: I've installed a 10.5.4 installer on pen drive which speed really up installation and I do have spare disks (no partition mess, please), so I can gove it a try.

The board is not really stable anyway (especially if you boot back Mac OS X after a windoze gaming usage with Asus overclocking enabled) many freezes even using Vista but most than all 3 times need to do a DVD repair of the OS!!

No way to have audio In, even with Taruga rev.4, after installing rev.3, only out.

Do you know if there is anyway to have the 2 on-board LAN ports to be used?

Hi, thanx for the info.

Already in touch with him, and really appreciate the great job...

But after a couple of days of trying (not because was not working but since I do not know how many freezes and KP I had... and than I need to start back from 10.5.2...) a I've used a different approach.

Install iAtoks 4i with nforce kernel (no Ideneb, no Jas at least for what I've tested, hang on booting the DVD), and do the upgrade to 10.5.5 myself using the voodoo 9.4b1 kernel (here).

During this weekend seems it will available 9.5 kernel too (http://groups.google.com/group/xnu-dev/web/voodoo-9-5-0-kernel).

The 10.5.4 iAtkos with this board is really not stable (freezes a lot, too much, can be it is "old" 9.2 nforce kernel used in this distrib?) but upgrading to 10.5.5 with the 9.4b1 seems soled: at the moment, almost an entire day, crossing my finger, didn't freeze yet.

I've to take a look at Mysticus 10.5.5 updater when it will be stable: I've installed a 10.5.4 installer on pen drive which speed really up installation and I do have spare disks (no partition mess, please), so I can gove it a try.

The board is not really stable anyway (especially if you boot back Mac OS X after a windoze gaming usage with Asus overclocking enabled) many freezes even using Vista but most than all 3 times need to do a DVD repair of the OS!!

No way to have audio In, even with Taruga rev.4, after installing rev.3, only out.

Do you know if there is anyway to have the 2 on-board LAN ports to be used?

Asus MOBO OC'ing stability......I NEVER use Asus AI overclocking.......I do it manually.......BUT I have found on my 650i MOBO that while I can get 3.3GHz OC'ing Prime95 stable under Vista and Ubuntu.......OS X is only stable to 3.0GHz OC'ing for extended use.......

If you have not done so, you should set maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist.......this will help with the MOBO stability......

Re onboard LAN......no way to get functioning properly at present.....get hold of a Realtek chipset based PCI Netwok Card i.e. RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 chipset card....check card specs before buying....depending on the card used it may just work out of the box with the already installed drivers in OS X.......Sonnet Technology use a RTL8169 chipset in their Gigabit NIC for "real"Macs.....

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modified for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

Also see http://www.psystar.com/realtek_r1000_driver.html

Psystar have released a modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance

the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101.

Yeah right, togheter with asus superb customer support: just ignoring people spending money on their stuff!!!

Hope never to deal with them again... just being ignored.

I'm using a $10 RTL 8169 (with Apple own driver...).

About having a stable system: after 24 hours of real usage with voodoo 9.4b1 kernel on 10.5.5 not a single freeze!! wow!! and with full 4GB RAM

I' was able to make the audio working, manually taking away all Apple (modded or not) Audio kexts and reinstalling rev.3.

A couple of other things I'm working hard to solve but with no luck right now:

"IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols" slow down boot (around 20 seconds).

and with this kernel Shutdown KP (after the halt message appear...) the darn thing while restart does not....

But to be honest at the moment I'm really surprised: when some days ago I had the chance to put my hand on this one I was sure to have terrible, real terrible time, to make it work with Mac OS X...

I'm going to post any development.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to getting the Mac OS X on my pc and would appreicate some help. I have a 790i Ultra motherboard, 4gb DDR3 ram, a Q9550 processor and two GTX260's graphics cards. My problem is: when I try to install iATKOS4i (10.5.4) on my pc, it comes up with an error message "still waiting for root device". I have searched and googled the problem and found many threads and efforts but I cannot find or understand any solutions. I have tried taking one graphics card out and 2gb of ram as I saw this on a thread somewhere.

Please can you give me some help.

I have sata drives and I don't have an IDE DVD drive.

Thanks in advance,

Ric

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to getting the Mac OS X on my pc and would appreicate some help. I have a 790i Ultra motherboard, 4gb DDR3 ram, a Q9550 processor and two GTX260's graphics cards. My problem is: when I try to install iATKOS4i (10.5.4) on my pc, it comes up with an error message "still waiting for root device". I have searched and googled the problem and found many threads and efforts but I cannot find or understand any solutions. I have tried taking one graphics card out and 2gb of ram as I saw this on a thread somewhere.

Please can you give me some help.

I have sata drives and I don't have an IDE DVD drive.

Thanks in advance,

Ric

You should try Leo4allv3 it works on my nforce4 mcp61 using sata hd.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

But now I need more help (I'm clearly a newbie). When it comes to the customize part what drivers and kernels do I select and deselect. This is my spec:

Motherboard: Evga 790i Ultra

Processor: Intel Quad Q9550

Graphics: 2x Gainward GTX260 (SLI)

Memory: 4GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz Ram

Sound Card: Integrated with motherboard

Network: Ethernet

Can anyone who has a similar spec pc or someone who has experience with this kind of thing please give me some information on this.

Thanks in advance,

Ric

Nevermind, I figured it out.

But now I need more help (I'm clearly a newbie). When it comes to the customize part what drivers and kernels do I select and deselect. This is my spec:

Motherboard: Evga 790i Ultra

Processor: Intel Quad Q9550

Graphics: 2x Gainward GTX260 (SLI)

Memory: 4GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz Ram

Sound Card: Integrated with motherboard

Network: Ethernet

Can anyone who has a similar spec pc or someone who has experience with this kind of thing please give me some information on this.

Thanks in advance,

Ric

1) To run OS X on x86 installed via current kernels / DVD installers, you cannot have two nVidia GFX cards installed......you need to physically remove one of the cards.....

I am happy to be proven wrong on this......but if you check out the GFX card options for Apple Mac Pro, you can install up to 4 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GFX cards but only 1 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB, or 1 x NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB GFX card.....

2) Check your BIOS settings against the Bios template in my Series 7 topic post #1......and read thread posts for further help........ :hysterical: