Challenge booting OSx in VMWare Workstation

Davo75

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have followed the instructions at this wiki;

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

in the hope of running Apple OS X in VMware Workstation.

Here are some specs on the versions of softwares that I am using:

VMware Workstation: 6.0.3

Apple ISO: Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso

I was able to install the OS, however I am not able to boot into it!

The Wiki mentions the following, which I believe is relevant to my challenge because VMware Workstation is complaining about trying to run a 64 bit operating system...

Note regarding 10.4.8 iso: JAS torrent will not boot in VMWare (There is no Booting Problem with the latest JAS 10.4.8 Torrent Pre-Patched with PPF1 from the Pirates Bay). AMD torrent works nicely on 32 bit host OS. If BIOS supports Intel Virtualization, it must be turned off or 10.4.8 kernel goes into 64 bit mode and crashes unless you use -legacy switch.

I have investigated my BIOS settings and there doesn't appear to be anyway to turn off Intel Virtualization at a BIOS level.

As a result I need to know how to perform one of the following tasks.

1). Start OSx in legacy mode.

2). Set VMware Workstation to run the guest OS in 64 bit mode.

If anybody can offer answers to one or both of these questions they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

post-281863-1220333815_thumb.jpg

post-281863-1220333839_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

The Wiki mentions the following, which I believe is relevant to my challenge because VMware Workstation is complaining about trying to run a 64 bit operating system...

Note regarding 10.4.8 iso: JAS torrent will not boot in VMWare (There is no Booting Problem with the latest JAS 10.4.8 Torrent Pre-Patched with PPF1 from the Pirates Bay). AMD torrent works nicely on 32 bit host OS. If BIOS supports Intel Virtualization, it must be turned off or 10.4.8 kernel goes into 64 bit mode and crashes unless you use -legacy switch.

I have investigated my BIOS settings and there doesn't appear to be anyway to turn off Intel Virtualization at a BIOS level.

If anybody can offer answers to one or both of these questions they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

I have started at least 3 threads on use of VMware here. Take a look around for threads in my name.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Dave

type -legacy at boot

run guest in 64 bit by choosing other 64-bit for example. your computer may not be able to host it though