What wifi card to buy for 802.1X authentication?

GroessterNehmer

5 posts in this topic

Hi @all!

I proudly own a HP 6720s with that Intel 3945 wifi thingy build inside which as of now seems nowhere near to be working with Mac OS. Instead I use a USB adaptor to connect to my wireless lan at home. Problem is I need to connect to the wireless lan at my university which uses 802.1X for authentication. From what I understand (searching Google and the forum) this is an almost impossible task.

So my question to all you hackintosh super pros: what wireless adapter can I buy to get this working? Also it would be nice if I wouldn't have to take my notebook apart, so PCMCIA or USB would be preferred.

From what I read it seems that this can only be achieved if OS X thinks it has a real Airport adapter so I can use the system build in 802.1X authentication. What card would qualify for that? Or is there a real Airport adapter which can be plugged in externally?

Any help would be highly appreciated and rewarded with as much beer as you can drink if you happen to be in Germany any time soon. (We Germans love our beer!) :glare:

• 3 weeks later...

That doesn't help at all. 802.1X is not IEEE 802.11 but an authentication method which can be used over a 802.11 network. It is used in many enterprise or university networks but is rarely supported by third party wireless lan adapters on Mac. It is supported natively by Mac OS since 10.3 if you have a real Airport adapter. But since almost every third party wireless lan adapter has its own connection software which registers to Mac OS as a regular lan adapter this is useless. If I cannot find an adapter which supports this authentication method I can't use OS X on my notebook because a computer without internet is of not much use nowadays.

Guest BuildSmart
That doesn't help at all. 802.1X is not IEEE 802.11 but an authentication method which can be used over a 802.11 network. It is used in many enterprise or university networks but is rarely supported by third party wireless lan adapters on Mac. It is supported natively by Mac OS since 10.3 if you have a real Airport adapter. But since almost every third party wireless lan adapter has its own connection software which registers to Mac OS as a regular lan adapter this is useless. If I cannot find an adapter which supports this authentication method I can't use OS X on my notebook because a computer without internet is of not much use nowadays.
Buy the HP (Broadcom based) 802.11a/b/g wireless card and you can use the 802.1x protocols without any problems, if you install one of the whit-list patched BIOSes you can install the real apple Atheros or Broadcom cards or one of the gigabyte 11n Atheros and enjoy all the advantages of a real AirPort card.