Processor: Pentium 4 (Prescott with SSE2 + SSE3) NOT WITH SSSE3!

Oxtie

7 posts in this topic

My system has SSE3 however not SSSE3! Leo4allv3 is the only disto that work. If I accidentally touch the "Customize" button in the OSX installer screen, the entire installation fails (meaning I can never customize anything).

Wikipedia does differentiate SSE3 with SSSE3 however I've seen almost all thread saying SSE3 is required, why would other distros fail in my system? (JaS 10.5.4 Server / Client)??? iAt4i??? Kalyway??? etc???? I really don't like the updates (fears me to redo the entire installation again) :P

There has to be some solution to this nasty reboot problem!How did Leo4all V3 solve this issue?

SSE3 is not required if there's an SSE2 kernel available from the install disc. What makes you think SSSE3 (triple S) has anything to do with anything?

SSE3 is not required if there's an SSE2 kernel available from the install disc. What makes you think SSSE3 (triple S) has anything to do with anything?

Edit: I had to press "submit" 3 times before my reply would "take". I refuse to delete the duplicate lines. It's way past time the board admins fix their network problems.

Edit: I had to press "submit" 3 times before my reply would "take". I refuse to delete the duplicate lines. It's way past time the board admins fix their network problems.

In Leo4All my processor is detected as SSE2 while JaS just goes on rebooting (after installation) however, CPU-Z tells me my process is prescott based and wiki also confirms its SSE3 capable then why these reboots??? (after installation) Vanilla kernel problem?from my understanding of JaS's release info, it has SSE2+3 support... what could be causing reboots?

You have to have support for NX (No-Execute) to run a vanilla kernel. That eliminates most P4s.

It sounds very strange that your install hangs when you press the Customize button. As far as I know SSSE3, or lack thereof, has never been an issue.

If you're using the new JaS 10.5.4 Client-Server SSE2 SSE3 disc, try the StageXNU kernel. Select the "Intel-ICHx" chipset. If you're using IDE disks choose "AppleIntelPIIXATA" under plugins and "Intel ICH and PIIX Controller" under device identification.

Before JaS went offline he said something that was very profound. He said "if you can boot and run the installation from the DVD then your machine is capable of running OSX." It all comes down to choosing the right options. Figuring out which options are the "right" ones can be challenging.