Jas 10.5.4 on software RAID?

bofors

2 posts in this topic

I am working on installing Jas 10.5.4 on a bootable software RAID 0 (striped) set.

I am trying to follow the instructions posted by Karaakeha1:

Leopard retail instillation Updated 19 June for Chameleon EFI & EFI v8

simplified guide( See Below After RAID Guide)

July 22 : Attached below latest kext package

11 July, For Restart fix -Open AppleACPIPlatform Binary in hex Editor & replace E8 A0 FF FF FF with B0 FE E6 64 F4 ( thanks to CharlesB )

attached below latest AppleACPIPlatform.kext

25 June :Latest Audio Apple HDA kext Show up in profile with HDAenabler.kext UPDATE 5 July.

Still the best is OLD APPLEHDA.kext with String , This new one produces lot of unwanted hisses when draging n droping

k2icms.png

For Advance user only RAID Install

Two Methods Chameleon EFI & EFI v8 listed below

I prefer Chameleon EFI as you can directly boot from Software RAID

Chameleon EFI RAID Guide

You need two or more Drives I used three Drives for Stripe RAID by Disk reading Xbench score alone jumped to over 190

5cm5u.jpg

Use diskutility to make raid volume of your desire

Important :

1. Make sure first install the Leopard Retail to the Destination RAID Drive.You can install Retail Leopard From Disk or Carbon Copy Clone from Existing Retail Leopard install.

2. Apply post patch as usual RAID Drive

3 than Edit com.apple.boot.plist (Drag drop on the desktop edit than replace)in the RAID volume add to Kernal Flags

boot-uuid=RAID Identifier

For RAID Identifier:using "Disk Utility.app", right click on your root volume, then Information

it will look like following pic

sb7xg7.png

4.Make sure you Install Chameleon EFI after Step 3(after addding UUID to com.apple.boot.plist) other wise Raid won't boot.

-Extract all the files to user root folder from Cameleon Files folder.

Open terminal type here in example I used three Disks Disk0 , Disk1 , Disk2(Mac OS X creates a small helper partition at the end of each RAID member disk Called Boot OSX) ,

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk2

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3

diskutil mount disk0s3
cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX
diskutil unmount disk0s3
diskutil mount disk1s3
diskutil unmount disk1s3
diskutil mount disk2s3
diskutil unmount disk2s3

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

I have a number of questions:

(1) Jas' 10.5.4 readme says it includes Chameleon, does this it includes "EFI"?

(2) Likewise, does this mean that it is unnecessary to add the Chameleon files in Karaakeha1's step 4?

(3) Karaakeha1's step 2 says something about "post patching as usual", I assume this has nothing to do with RAID per se?

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about trying the same thing, although I thought I would use a small boot partition on a different drive; I can answer your questions though:

(1) Jas' 10.5.4 readme says it includes Chameleon, does this it includes "EFI"?

Chameleon is the replacement for the old "fake" EFI - essentially a bootloader or bios - and according to those instructions I think you need to install it on all the raid member drives. just run the Chameleon installer and point it at each drive, much easier than EFI was.

(2) Likewise, does this mean that it is unnecessary to add the Chameleon files in Karaakeha1's step 4?

If the files aren't there after the above, then add them to be on the safe side, they won't mess anything up by being there.

(3) Karaakeha1's step 2 says something about "post patching as usual", I assume this has nothing to do with RAID per se?

It doesn't have anything to do with raid per se, but open the patch .sh file with a text editor and you will be able to figure out what it does - basically replaces a few of apple's .kexts with modified ones to make your mac run better, but these may not be specific to your hardware and sometimes other versions of .kexts will work better than these, that's half the fun of a hackintosh though!