kalyway waiting for root device? (pics uploaded)

shawnunder7

28 posts in this topic

i have a toshiba l25-s1194 laptop

that has

ati radeon 200m series

40 gb IDE hard drive

intel celeron m

850 mb of memory

when i try to install kalyway i get stuck on "waiting for root device" and it keeps going and all it says is "still waiting for root device".

Can someone please give me advice on what to do, thank you :(

here are 2 pics showing my issues PICT0006.jpgPICT0012.jpg

is there a way to fix the problem, or to get the installer to support or recognize my ide? :P

Some laptop users have had success installing by using a USB keyboard AND mouse connected to the laptop (PS/2 can cause problems.... :( ) during the install process......worth a try....... :)

Shawn I had the same problem using the same DVD (10.5.2 Kalyway). I was able to install 10.5.2 from Leo4all (google it and you'll find a torrent with it)... but you can always try verdant suggestion. (worth a try like he said)

i'm getting the same error here... my specs are:

- Asus P5KPL-VM;

- Core 2 Duo E6550;

- 4Gb DDR2;

- GeForce 9600GT 512/256

i'm trying to install it on a 80gb IDE (set as slave) ... i didn't wanted to "risk" my Vista and my Sata HD's ....

ok i will do both start the torrent and try the usb thing, thanks for helping me :(

also... i managed to install mac on my desktop but it says my keyboard isnt identified and i go through everything but it keeps starting again telling me the same thing

ok i will do both start the torrent and try the usb thing, thanks for helping me :wacko:

also... i managed to install mac on my desktop but it says my keyboard isnt identified and i go through everything but it keeps starting again telling me the same thing

Are you using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse or a mix of PS/2 for keyboard and mouse........if so this is not a good idea......use a USB keyboard AND mouse.....and do not select any PS?2 patches in the initial install.......

oh ok... but on my desktop, its usb and ill try the installation again, but for now it says keyboard cannout be identified to identify click ok, i do that go through the process and at the end i get asked " transfer settings from another mac?" i click no and it starts over again

p.s is this Leo4All-10.5.2 Universal AMD/INTEL[sSE2/SSE3] the right leo to download?

oh ok... but on my desktop, its usb and ill try the installation again, but for now it says keyboard cannout be identified to identify click ok, i do that go through the process and at the end i get asked " transfer settings from another mac?" i click no and it starts over again

Are you using Kalyway 10.5.2 and what are your Customize selections......

yes, its installing now so i cant say but there was on, some keyboard thing and i disabled it in this installation, maybe that was the problem?, but if it doesnt work i will tell you in the next try

ok... i re-installed mac os x on my desktop and i still key the keyboard problem... for now i will stop trying on the desktop and i will see if the laptop will work :wacko:

yes, its installing now so i cant say but there was on, some keyboard thing and i disabled it in this installation, maybe that was the problem?, but if it doesnt work i will tell you in the next try

ok... i re-installed mac os x on my desktop and i still key the keyboard problem... for now i will stop trying on the desktop and i will see if the laptop will work :(

Highlight your Customize selections on the list below (by changing the colour of the selections you made):

Kernels included-

Kernel_9.2_sleep

kernel_9.2_speedstep

kernel_9.2.2_kabyl

kernel_922_modbin

kernel_92_nforce

kernel_vanilla_922

Graphics Drivers included-

ATI_Radeon:

X1000Series

ATYinject for 19xx series

NATIT_For_X1000_series

ATIRadeonX1000SeriesGraphics

1950gt_pro

X2000_HD_and_X3000_HD_Series

NATIT_For_X2000_X3000_Series

HD2900xt_pro

white_menus_fixe_HD2600_pro

white_menus_fixe_HD3850_3870×2

ATI_Radeon_HD_2600_Pro_AGP (this one no need for natit and white menufix)

ATI_Radeon_HD_2600_XT_AGP (this one no need for natit and white menufix)

Nvidia_Geforce (select one only):

NVinject

NVinject-128

NVinject-256

NVinject-320

NVinject-512

NVinject-640

NVinject-768

NVinjectGO

NVinjectGO-512

NVInject_Clevo_M570RU 8700gfx

NATIT_gfnvidia

Intel Intergrated Video Drivers:

Intel_GMA

GMA950 (tiger one full accelerated and resolution support but with mouse artifact)

GMAX3100 (not tested)

Audio_Drivers-

Intel NVIDIA VIA ATI HDAudioController

NVIDIAAC97Audio

Realtek Sigmatel ConexantAnalogDevicesHDAudioCodec (generic output support)

ALC883_DS3,p5k pro etc…

alc889a_shutdown_support

ALC882_p5w_dh_deluxe

sigmatel_9200_inspiron_9400

Networks_Drivers-

Networks_Cards:

AppleBCM440XEthernet

AppleBCM5751Ethernet

AppleRTL8169Ethernet

MarvellNetworkAdapter

RealtekR1000

skge_marvell

forcedeth

Wifi_Card:

IO80211Family

AtherosWirelessAdapter

Zydas-ZD1211-1215

wifi_Broadcom_airport

RT2500-RT73-USB

wifi_AP_Realtek_RTL8187L

wifi_Realtek_RTL8187B

iwi2200beta

Motherboard_Chipsets (Support for ATI ; Nvidia ; Intel ; Via ; SiS ; Marvell ; JMicron)-

AppleNForceATA

AppleOnboardPCATA

AppleVIAATA

AppleGenericPCATA

SiliconImage3132

Thirds_Applications (will be installed in /applications/KOOLSOFTS/)-

Adium

Archives

Candybar

ChangeFinder

Colloquy

Fairmount

Growl

GmailNotifier

KextHelperB7

Onyx

iPhoto

Macam_iusbcam

MacTheRipper

Mojo

Proxi

Pacifist

Perian

PPF-o-Matic

SimplyBurns

Solarseek

StuffitExpander

Textmate

Transmission

VLC

Xbench

Patches included-

Hardcoded_SMBIOS

Lastnetkassmbios (with coreplayer fix , mozzy and logmein!)

AppleSMBIOS-27-Default

AppleSMBIOS-27-667

AppleSMBIOS-27-800

AppleSMBIOS-27-1066

AppleSMBIOS-27-DDR3-1333

AppleSMBIOS-27-IM

AppleSMBIOS-27-MB

AppleSMBIOS-27-MBMem

AppleSMBIOS-27-MP

OLD Tiger SMBIOS_1.0.1 also included:

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC (may or not work)

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleAPIC

Other Patches-

cpus=1 flag

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout

TimeMachineFix

PowerManagement_bundle (don’t install it if you have select sse2 patch !!!)

IntelMemoryController

USBPCGen (fix usbehci detection problem , enable usb2)

AMD_1052_Patches (select patch 1 or patch 2):

AMD_1052_Patch_test_1

AMD_1052_Patch_test_2

-legacy flag

ok... KERNEL

kernel 9.2 sleep

AUDIO DRIVER

realtek sigmatel conexant analogdevices HD Audio Codec

NETWORK

realtekr1000

Mobo CHipset

All

third applications

growl

iphoto

macam iusbcam

PATCHES

lastnetkassmbios

pcgenusb_fix

francais_pc_keyboard_layout

thats it... is that right... should i change something to get the dell keyboard to work with the desktop... or should i start the installation like it is? :(

also i tried plugging in my usb mouse and keyboard to my laptop and starting the installation but i still got the same error saying "waiting for root device" and "still waiting for root device"

ok... KERNEL

kernel 9.2 sleep

AUDIO DRIVER

realtek sigmatel conexant analogdevices HD Audio Codec

NETWORK

realtekr1000

Mobo CHipset

All

third applications

growl

iphoto

macam iusbcam

PATCHES

lastnetkassmbios

pcgenusb_fix

francais_pc_keyboard_layout

thats it... is that right... should i change something to get the dell keyboard to work with the desktop... or should i start the installation like it is? :(

Try without the pcgenusb_fix....

ok... i will

p.s is there a way to get rid of the "still waiting for root device" on my laptop so i can install mac osx because when i try the usb mouse and keyboard the installation disables the usb slots :(

What are you laptop BIOS IDE and SATA controller options?......also these options:

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

hw can see that

Do you mean how can you enter your BIOS setup?......

Information from Toshiba:

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured since the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods will be effective:

Toshiba Hardware utility method: Run the Toshiba Hardware utility from the Toshiba Console. It is also accessible (as 'HWSetup') from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the CMOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (along with re-starting Windows). This method is the only way to access the CMOS settings on some of the newer notebook PCs (Satellite 5000 series, for example). (For these machines, pressing and holding the F12 key immediately after powering-on the notebook will allow you to alter the notebook's boot priority.)

If the notebook is fully off, and/or to avoid having to re-start it (and Windows), use one or the other of the following two methods. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode). If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook (either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator), disconnect it until you have completed this procedure.

F2 key method: Turn the notebook on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the notebook on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured before the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods are appropriate:

HWSetup method: Run the HWSetup utility from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the CMOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (and Windows). HWSetup was pre-installed on all but early Toshiba notebook models. If it doesn't appear as a Control Panel applet on your notebook, you may be able to download it from the Toshiba Support website as part of the Toshiba Utilities package for your model.

Esc key method: If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook, either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator, disconnect it. Turn the notebook on. Immediately press and hold the Esc key. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode) for this method to work.

TSETUP method: Run the TSETUP utility, under MS-DOS. TSETUP runs correctly only when executed from a 'native' MS-DOS prompt, and with the processor running in real mode -- so not from a Windows 'DOS box', and without any memory manager software running (EMM386.EXE, HIMEM.SYS, or QEMM386.EXE, for example). TSetup was pre-installed on most early Toshiba notebook models (except for the very earliest models). It is available from the Toshiba Support website.

what do i do from HWsetup? :)

What are you laptop BIOS IDE and SATA controller options?......also these options:

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

no i mean, how can i see execute disable bit. aqcpi apic support, and acpi suspend mode because i dont see them in my bios :(

what do i do from HWsetup? :)

no i mean, how can i see execute disable bit. aqcpi apic support, and acpi suspend mode because i dont see them in my bios :(

I suspect that you may not be able to install OS X because of this thread....... :( but I am happy to be proved wrong......... :)

so.... if it means i can install mac os x, does that mean something isnt set right or im not doing the installation right? :)

I guess yes......except your recurring "waiting for root device" error......as it says in the thread......this may not be fixable.....