USB Wifi Driver for Mac X86

12 posts in this topic

• 4 months later...

Sure. It's absolutely possible. Though I think it might be a little "non-trivial" to do so, since you'll need the technical specifications of the wifi chip, down to it's instruction set, and a relatively high level of knowledge when it comes to IOkit.

So, while it's POSSIBLE, Netgear's probably going to have to do it. And they probably wont.

EDIT: The reason why they probably wont is simple. What use is it to write a driver for a wireless card for an Intel Mac, when all Intel Macs come with Airport WIFI built in? There's no use. It's a total waste of time (except to service Hackintosh owners)

actually for the wg111v2 theres the earlier model based on the prism chipset, and some people got it working with the prism drivers floating around. The newer ones use realtek rtl8187L chipset, and theres a mac osx driver for this on the realtek website. the only problem is, it doesnt work (lol), not for me anyway. Either its not universal (ppc only) or realtek just didnt create it properly. I even checked the info.plist of the rtl8187L kext supplied, and it has an entry for wg111v2. Possibly the device id they have in that info.plist is wrong. Anyway i bought a dlink dwl-g122 and it works fine...so im not gonna bother chasing it up. Although qwerty maybe you can bug (email) realtek about it (assuming your usb wireless adapter is actually teh realtek chipset one).