any suggestions for replacement of intel 3945 chip?

SaiHayashi

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, ive got a vaio sz series that comes with the intel 3945 abg chip.

i can install iatkos jas and kalyway with no problem, only no wireless and audio.

ive realised on the forum that the iwidarwin project doesnt seem to move any further,

so im looking for a replacement chip that will work out of the box.

so far i feel that atheros 5008 seems to work the best,

however it doesnt look to provide WPA encryption, which i need it to connect to my uni's wifi.

now im looking for anything that gives 5008's functionality, preferrably with n channel,

and it must support WPA enterprise encryption.

Anyone have any suggestions on which chip i should get?

Feel free to have your say, thx

hi, i got myself an HP broadcom 4311 minipci-E to replace the 4965 card. it works as airport after applying a patch available here and support wep/wpa encrypted networks. Be sure your laptop don't has bios locks before swapping the card, mine don't (not a sony thought)

i got it on ebay for 19us$

it works flawlessy on Vista too, being recognized by the S.O. automatically.

hi, i got myself an HP broadcom 4311 minipci-E to replace the 4965 card. it works as airport after applying a patch available here and support wep/wpa encrypted networks. Be sure your laptop don't has bios locks before swapping the card, mine don't (not a sony thought)

i got it on ebay for 19us$

it works flawlessy on Vista too, being recognized by the S.O. automatically.

ohh what a coincidence, i just bought a 4321 today ( paid alot extra compared to urs tho ).

so tell me, whats with the bios locks? if it does how do i tweak around with it?

one more thing my current card has 2 wires ( suspecting 1 attenna and the other one the wlan switch button ) connected to the main board, is your 4311 similar?

ohh what a coincidence, i just bought a 4321 today ( paid alot extra compared to urs tho ).

so tell me, whats with the bios locks? if it does how do i tweak around with it?

one more thing my current card has 2 wires ( suspecting 1 attenna and the other one the wlan switch button ) connected to the main board, is your 4311 similar?

Nope, cables are for antennas, my notebook has 3 wires, hp card only 2, i connected black and white,leaving the grey disconnected (and with a piece of tape over to avoid shortcircuits)

The switch to enable/disable it is connected to the pci-e bus i thought.

You can notice of the bios lock as soon as you insert it in your laptop, if it start and recognize the card it means it don't has any lock (hp and lenovo notebooks has) maybe try to configure the card with windows first if you have it.