Dell Vostro 1000 Installation Guide

Tom A Miller

6 posts in this topic

Download Kalaway Leopard 10.5.2 DVD AMD/INTEL ISO from bittorrent.

Burn ISO at 1X speed, or you will probably get a bad installation disc.

Insert DVD into your Vostro 1000 POS laptop and boot to the DVD

It will take about 10 minutes to get to the first GUI Installation Screen.

Go through the first few screens and when you see TOOLS appear on the top menu bar click DISK UTILITY

Select the DISK you want to install on and click the ERASE BUTTON.

Close the DISK UTILITY and then press Continue again and when you see the CUSTOMIZE button you MUST click it and check the box for "AMD 10.5.2 TEST" (It appears near the bottom of the options). Do NOT check any other boxes or you can go to the HOT place.

Click Continue to start the install. It will take about one hour. Go talk to your mom for awhile.

Finally you will Restart after the installation finishes. Reboot, and it will walk you though the setup process.

At this point, basic video, wifi, ethernet are all working fine. Our next step is to install a better video driver then the basic VGA driver that has been installed. Extract the attached zip named CallistoKextsVostro1000ForAtiRadeon1150.zip and then go to the Terminal command prompt and paste the commands in the script file. These commands will copy the proper Vostro 1000 ATI Radeon 1150 kexts to the proper places. If you want to understand this part more, google Callistro hackintosh drivers and start reading. After you do these commands it is very important to do a GRACEFUL RESTART of the operating system and when it starts up you will see that the video has improved. Do NOT try to increase the resolution beyond 1024x768 because this piece of junk driver and card will not go beyond that. Forget about Quartz or any of that stuff. You paid $400 for this POS laptop what more do you want!!??

To get the sound working, extract the attached archive.zip and simply drag the .txt file onto the HDApatcher icon. Do NOT try to open the HDApatcher app, it will do its thing automatically when the txt file is dragged to it. Voila, we have sound on our craptop.

To be continued...

CallistoKextsVostro1000ForAtiRadeon1150.zip

• 1 month later...
Download Kalaway Leopard 10.5.2 DVD AMD/INTEL ISO from bittorrent.

Burn ISO at 1X speed, or you will probably get a bad installation disc.

Insert DVD into your Vostro 1000 POS laptop and boot to the DVD

It will take about 10 minutes to get to the first GUI Installation Screen.

Go through the first few screens and when you see TOOLS appear on the top menu bar click DISK UTILITY

Select the DISK you want to install on and click the ERASE BUTTON.

Close the DISK UTILITY and then press Continue again and when you see the CUSTOMIZE button you MUST click it and check the box for "AMD 10.5.2 TEST" (It appears near the bottom of the options). Do NOT check any other boxes or you can go to the HOT place.

Click Continue to start the install. It will take about one hour. Go talk to your mom for awhile.

Finally you will Restart after the installation finishes. Reboot, and it will walk you though the setup process.

At this point, basic video, wifi, ethernet are all working fine. Our next step is to install a better video driver then the basic VGA driver that has been installed. Extract the attached zip named CallistoKextsVostro1000ForAtiRadeon1150.zip and then go to the Terminal command prompt and paste the commands in the script file. These commands will copy the proper Vostro 1000 ATI Radeon 1150 kexts to the proper places. If you want to understand this part more, google Callistro hackintosh drivers and start reading. After you do these commands it is very important to do a GRACEFUL RESTART of the operating system and when it starts up you will see that the video has improved. Do NOT try to increase the resolution beyond 1024x768 because this piece of junk driver and card will not go beyond that. Forget about Quartz or any of that stuff. You paid $400 for this POS laptop what more do you want!!??

To get the sound working, extract the attached archive.zip and simply drag the .txt file onto the HDApatcher icon. Do NOT try to open the HDApatcher app, it will do its thing automatically when the txt file is dragged to it. Voila, we have sound on our craptop.

To be continued...

nice guide.. very useful... one thing though... cant seem to find "archive.zip" (for the sound) however... attached to where? am i missing something :blink:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice- I installed this on my dell studio 1558 and the OS works. I don't have any sound, though (can't find "archive.zip"), my USB flash drive lights up but is not mounted, and Internet (via both WiFi and a serial cable) does not work. Also, ever since I formatted The Partition on which I installed the OS, my other Windows Partition, while not deleted, as I have browsed its contents from OSX, can no longer be booted from. what gives?