dual boot beginner question

13 posts in this topic

Hope this area is the right place to post this question...

Hi, Sorry if my question is from a beginner, i live in Brazil and i work with graphic desgin but im not very good with the tecnical part of computers. After drooling in front of a friends laptop running windows vista and mac os x, i really want to experiment the apple os. So im plan to install Leopard on my home pc, but i dont want to make any mistake. I have windows XP installed. I have everything needed: the iatkos 4i burned on a dvd, a partition (20gb) to install leopard and my cpu is compatible. I made a partition with acronis disk director:

C:/ NTFS - 54.31GB Primary, active (normal C:/ where windows XP is installed)

T:/ FAT32 - 20.22GB Primary (where i will install leopard)

But first i want to know something. If i install leopard on T: (i set it to primary in acronis disk director), after the installation, i think the first boot will be in mac os right? or will be normally in windows xp? if is in mac, how can i acess the boot.ini file to add the line for the dual boot?

I have read some tutorials, some say you have to re-install windows XP, this is not a option for me.

Somebody can help me please?

Sorry my english. :hysterical:

Download Gparted live cd, boot on it and after change the boot flag of the leo partition and remove the check and then, put it on the XP part...

Or boot on your Leo dvd and then, go on Terminal and type that:

diskutil list (to know your partition number)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag x (put your partition number of leopard)

update

write

y

q

And after on your XP for the bootloader

1) Open My Computer.
2) Double-click on the C drive.
3) Click Tools, then Folder Options.
4) Click the View tab, then in the scrolling box, select "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
5) Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)".
6) Click OK.
7) Now, you should be back in the C: Drive. Look for a file called boot.ini. Right click on it and select Properties.
8) Untick the Read-Only checkbox.
9) Now press OK, then right click again on boot.ini.
10) Click Open With... then select Notepad.
11) Make a new line at the bottom and copy and paste this code: C:\chain0="Mac OS X86"
12) Save the file and exit Notepad.
13) Now we have to copy a file called "chain0" to the C: drive. This is apparently on the Kalyway disk, but it is very hard to get. Instead, download it from [url="http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/chain0.rar"]here[/url] (RAR file) or here (zip file). Extract it then put the resulting file (chain0 without any extensions) into the root of the C: drive (the same place where boot.ini is located.)

Or use Acronis Disk Director as a third party bootloader software

copy a file called "chain0" to the C: drive. This is apparently on the Kalyway disk, but it is very hard to get. Instead, download it from here (RAR file) or here (zip file). Extract it then put the resulting file (chain0 without any extensions) into the root of the C: drive (the same place where boot.ini is located.)

I have Jasc Mac OS 10.4.8 version so will this chain0 version which u told above will let me dual boot or else from where i can get chain0 of my version ????

1)I downloaded Gparted Live cd and tired to boot from it but after selecting language few lines runs and screens goes blank nothging happen wiat for 15mins but notging happens,i tired its failsafe mode but same thing happnes and one strange thing is that after selecting keymap it didn't responds according to keyboard no matter what i select in keymap i am on laptop.

Freinds tell me now what to do ?

2) I get in terminal windows and did as u said and successfully landed in XP i pasted chain0 in my C drive then edit my boot.ini and now my boot.ini is like this

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\chain0="Mac OS X86"

Did i did anything wrong somewhere ?bcoz xp didn't give me any option of double boot it directly boots in xp so plz tell me where am wrng.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I really hope you've saved a copy of anything that matters to you onto a seperate disk, not just another partition of the same hdd. Undoing changes to XP's boot.ini can be a pain, but undoing changes to a boot sector or mbr ?

If its not too late, I'd encourage installing Leopard on another physical drive. Guaranteed less tears if you go wrong!

Grae