Best cpu and motherboard?

8 posts in this topic

There are several families of main boards that have good support. I am partial to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3* boards (I have a GA-P35-DS3L). There are great tutorials for these boards, and even an application by pcwiz to install/manage patches.

As for CPUs, any Core 2 chip is typically going to work. My personal take is that the Q6600 is the best bang for the buck ($190 for a quad core 2.4GHz -- mine is factory, but I've seen people overclock it to 3.2GHz, and in a few cases beyond).

Buy a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4, it rocks...

But the gigabyte's P35 family is great too. Especially the GA-EP35-DS4.

100% compatible thanks to the efforts of the community.

For the CPU, the best bang for your bucks is the Q6600 (quad) pr E5200 (dual).

I'm going to upgrade my computer, what is the best cpu and motherboard for kalyway 10.5.2 and iAKOS v4i 10.5.4.

Thanks

Intel Bad Axe 2 used to be a very good option (see my specs.), however it's a bit obsolete now (only 1066 FSB without support for the new Intel CPUs)- but I'm still happy with it. Everything (except network and sound - can be easily resolved) works out of the box, including sleep, restart etc. Plus I have 99% silent mac with all genuine Mac features :P

Will intel core 2 quad Q9550 2.83ghz work good with kalyway 10.5.2 or iATKOS v4i 10.5.4.

Thanks

In terms of OSx86 compatibility, it really does not matter which Intel CPU you get, as long as it supports the SSE3 instruction set (and all Intel CPU's on the market do).

OSx86 compatibility issues come up with the selection of the motherboard, you want to get one the is well known to be good for OSx86.