Help needed to save a broken Leopard Install

RobPulsar

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've got a Dell M1530 laptop and I installed Leopard by following a few of the great guides available on this forum. I've been using the laptop for a few weeks now and pretty much everything was working fine except for known issues and the battery meter not showing. Tonight I sat down determined to fix the battery meter issue and in the process of updating kexts and bundles etc I seem to have broken my install. :(

Upon boot I now get what I believe is called a 'Kernel Panic' with a message asking me to restart the computer. Reading some of the text at the top of the screen I think I've removed or replaced a kext that I shouldn't have as it complains about "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".......

I think I can remember which files I last changed and I have the originals backed up. What I need to know is can I use the terminal that you get from the install DVD to restore the broken files? I have no knowledge of terminal commands so would need some serious hand holding to get through it.

If this isn't possible then is there anything I can do to save the files and settings etc of my install but just re-install the core OS as such? A long shot (coming from a windows background) but I know how magical OSX can be.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read about my troubles.

Regards

Rob

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work at the moment so can't try your solution yet but will let you know how it goes. I'll go and look for some Terminal help on mounting the drive and deleting files etc but I was wondering if you had a link to 'rebuilding the kextcache'?

Thanks again.

Regards

Rob

When you boot with bootflag -s, it actually tells you on screen what to type to mount the filesystem - so no need to go rooting around for that.

It's been a while since I last rebuilt my kextcache - but from memory I think you need to do:

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

I'm sure someone will correct me if my memory is not serving me correctly!

Hi Adam,

I'm home now and I'v just tried to boot in single user mode and the kernel panic seems to be stopping the system even let me get to a command line prompt - it just freezes. I'm going to try the version of Terminal I get from the install disk to see if that lets me do what I need.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll look for a boot disk I can download or might just blank the drive and re-install. I guess there is a lesson to be learned here.

Regards

Rob

Boot the install DVD, when it getting in the graphic interface, click on the "next" button get into the menubar and load Terminal from the Utility menu.

Pay attention - your system volume is now /Volumes/MacHDD if your Leopard is installed on your volume named "MacHDD"

So, all you can do is

rm -rf /Volumes/MacHDD/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm -rf /Volumes/MacHDD/System/Library/Extensions/TheUselessKext.kext

reboot

...and enjoy.