JaS 10.5.4 (Can't Install) Still waiting for root device. DG965SS Mobo

stevejabs

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to install the JaS 10.5.4 release on my system with no luck so far. I have been lurking around the forum for the past 3 days and have tried numerous things to try and get this dvd to install. First...

THE PROBLEM:

When I initiate the dvd and press F8 and then -v to boot I never get past the Firewire going into secure mode with an error. It just hangs at that point repeating "Still waiting for root device."

MY MACHINE:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

Intel DG965SS Mobo

4GB Ram

250Gb SATA HD

500Gb SATA HD

HP DVD-RAM IDE

ATI 1GB Radeon HD 3650 (My monitor is connected VIA this card)

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

This list could be long, but I've tried switching things in the bios like HPET and ACHI on and S.M.A.R.T off.

I've tried booting with only 2048Mb Ram and 1 CPU and Platform X86PC

I've tried booting with only 1 CPU

I've tried booting with only 2048Mb Ram

I've tried installing Kalayway (Just hangs on Apple and then displays circle with line through it error)

I've tried removing harddrives

I've tried changing my DVD drive to Slave from Master

I've tried changing my DVD drive to cable select

I've tried moving my DVD drive to a different IDE slot on the ribbon

I've tried booting with -F (That sends it immediately to the apple logo, but then displays error circle like Kalayway did)

I'm at a loss here. If anyone needs any more detailed information then that I can easily pass that along to you when I get home from work.

I would really like to find out what is causing this. I have the exact same problem. I have a p5w Deluxe and what is strange is that I used to have Kallyway 10.5.1 and the 10.5.2 update running perfectly. After updating to 10.5.3, the DVD drives stopped working, so I started changing kexts and messed everything up. I wiped the drive to do a freash install and now NONE of the releases will install, not even the old 10.5.1. I get the same errors as above. This is so frustrating since my orininal install went like butter.

this is something to do with your DVD drive, OSX loaded a driver and is waiting for your DVD to start up, this is either in the bios or the DVD settings. I would start there.

Looking at the board you have, it has the G965 Express Chipset - I've just checked the hardware compatability list and I can't see that chipset anywhere.

So it looks like your chipset(s) is not supported.

Seeing as I can't see support for the Northbridge or the Southbridge (ICH8) - I don't think you're in luck unless you want to start patching install DVD's with modified kexts etc.

I found this thread about the same issue - check it out.

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t37319.html

Have you tried any other install disc like iDeneb v1, Leo4All or Zephyroth? I'm not sure what drivers JaS loads at startup, but many people have trouble with their SATA drives on install. Maybe try iDeneb (found at the green demon place among others) and see if that helps.

For me it's not because the chipset is not supported. It's a P5W Deluxe and I used to have Leopard on it. I've tried several distros including the very same Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD that installed perfectly a few months ago. I can't see anything that has changed in the bios. I've even tried the disc preparer/formater and it won't make it through the full boot up.

The only thing different is that it was a virgin HDD when I did the original install. Does that make a difference?

Ok, well I finally got it "sorta" up and running on my system. JaS 10.5.4 install is OUT and Leo4All v3 is IN! No dice so far on getting it to recognize my ati 3650 HD correctly and it cannot find my ethernet or sound. So once I narrow down those issues (any help would rule, refer to top for system specs) I think I could do a write up for everyone on getting this to work on an Intel DG965SS board.

• 4 months later...

Hi

Can you pls post the actions you did to escape from the "Still waiting for root device" problem.

U got the same issue and can't go farther.

Having

Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

4GB Ram

nVidia 8800 GTS

Jas OS 10.5.4