HP dv7 and dv5 series

12 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what everyone thought about these two series of laptops. How well do they respond with OSX installed? I want to play some games on the laptop and also use video editing programs like Avid express and Final Cut. Any input would be awesome. TIA. -Mat

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DV7 and I tried a few distro with no luck. I didn't give it a 100% like I did my desktop (everything works) but I know this is bleeding new tech and the community is waiting to keep up. Centrino2 is new but I heard of some people getting the Dell Studio 17 working...but I dont think its a Centrino2. I know our wireless cards are not working, the Audio probably won't work yet, IDT {censored}.

bummer...i've got a brand new dv7 here that i'm going to try 10.5.1 kaly within the next day or two

looking at the specs, these 2 series uses the sound blaster pro compatible sound. do you think it will work with leopard? i'm planning to get a laptop too and i think these series will look nice when it is running leopard.

i just tried another kalyway install this morning via usb flash drive ... no luck.

i cant get past the "root device" error when trying to install with cd...

anyone have suggestions to get around that? i cant change {censored} in bios ... no options for that.

i think these series will look nice when it is running leopard.

yeah mang .. it's a sweet looking monster. if i could just get rid of vista ... i could die a happy man.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i have install iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 sucesfull; but i have problems with the soundcard; i'm not able to find a driver for it. the rest works fine.

I see you have a good install on your DV7?? How did you install? I can't get past the waiting for root device error. I even tried with external usb cd drive ...

how'd you do it?!? i'm dieing to get os x installed on these(i've got two that suck right now because of vista)

thanks!

For the DV-5 and other laptops with the pci that fallows:

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx Series]

Keep in mind the tips you find here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showuser=96507 but for mine I had to make a clean install (Do not install any HDA kext at the beginning...), download the the HDAEnabler from http://rapidshare.com/files/156340359/HDAEnabler.kext.zip (or whenever you can get it...) and then install first the 111D76B2AppleHDA.kext.zip (sorry, I couldn't find the link...), reboot and then install the HDAEnabler cleaning the cache and so on... Use OSX86Tools or Onyx the to do it.

It should work...I got a crappy 2 channels sound...but it's better then nothing :)

• 4 weeks later...

No luck , followed that link about iDeneb on dv5.

Mine is a european hp dv7-1199ed , install goes ok , rebooting into single user freezes right after mounting / read-only and printing one more line of firewire which I also get on single user iDeneb cd boot (which doesn't freeze) . Get the same lines of output as on the single user iDeneb cd boot.

That means there is still hope, since the install cd doesn't freeze?

I have got hp bios f.13, do i need slightly different options eg for applesmbios (I choose macbook, as per the link).

• 1 year later...

I have a European DV5-1150ed

Running OSX 1.5.3 from an external USB HD

GFX Working at full Resolution

All 3 USB ports working Properly ( 2 right side and 1 on the left )

[ Installation Legend ]

The kalyway 1.5.1 worked great during the install.

After completion, GFX card wasn't working at full resolution.

The GFX issue Fixed with the NVinstallerV.4.1 And then got the white menus problem...

which was also fixed after I installed the Kalyway 1.5.3 combo update with the modbin Kernel ( The original 1.5.3 Kernel Froze it completely the first time I tried it )

Wifi and audio still not working and trying to find fixes but its a frikkin' hell of posts.

No battery indication.

Anyone can help me with the Wifi, Audio and Laptop Battery support ?

Device manager states IDT Codec and Nvidia device...

Can anyone help me with which kexts to install and how ?

A million thanx!

No luck , followed that link about iDeneb on dv5.

Mine is a european hp dv7-1199ed , install goes ok , rebooting into single user freezes right after mounting / read-only and printing one more line of firewire which I also get on single user iDeneb cd boot (which doesn't freeze) . Get the same lines of output as on the single user iDeneb cd boot.

That means there is still hope, since the install cd doesn't freeze?

I have got hp bios f.13, do i need slightly different options eg for applesmbios (I choose macbook, as per the link).

Why don't you try kalyway ?, worked great for me right out of the Install dvd and with a few hassle free fixes I got my system running to a quite good level.