Help! I think i {censored}ed up my Darwin bootloader

XLR

4 posts in this topic

I had a great dual boot setup on my 500GB hard drive for a while, 250GB were allocated for Leopard and 250GB for WinXP.

Yesterday my mate gave me some CD with his own customized version of XP that includes SP3 and many other improvements,

so i started installing it... I reformatted my XP partition to NTFS and OMG i totally forgot that Darwin bootloader was living there!

Is there any way to reinstall the good old Darwin or maybe some other bootloader instead?

The Leo partition remained untouched btw, or at least i hope so...

Assuming Vista only mucked with the disk level MBR and not the one on the OSX partition, this will work:

boot to your OSX86 install disk, and open a Terminal:

root# diskutil list # (find the disk)

root# diskutil unmount /dev/diskXsA # X and A will be numeric -- use your disk as a guide

root# diskutil unmount /dev/diskXsB # X (disk number) will be the same -- unmount all partitions for your selected disk

#

# be very careful here -- you won't damage anything as long as you get the command right, but you

# can really screw things up with an error here. Again, X is the disk number from above.

#

root# dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=512 count=1

reboot, and you should get Darwin again.

Best of luck,

-Josh

I'm getting a "boot0: error" right now, it doesn't even boots into WinXP... :)

disk0s1 is my NTFS disk, and disk0s2 is the HFS disk with Leopard. Perhaps i did something wrong, i'll upload a screenshot in a moment...

2ll2iw3.jpg

For some reason it didn't unmounted disk0s1 at first attempt so i did it twice, exactly in the best place to {censored} things up btw.

Both partitions basically merged into one massive unrecognized partition...

So i reformatted and reinstalled all my {censored} and now everything works fine.

But, can anyone tell me pls wtf have i did wrong to {censored} everything up like that?