mini PCIe WIFI cards compatible with OS X

firefoxPL

12 posts in this topic

Hello, I would like to ask some more experienced ones here to create a list of fully compatible WIFI cards for notebooks (only mini PCIe, not miniPCI). I belive that most users that are currently stuck with Intel 3945/4965 (like myself) would like to check out some cheap third-party wifi cards, but don't know what to look for.

I ask for any mini PCIe wifi card that runs natively or with some simple driver installation.

Thanks in advance.

Guest BuildSmart
Hello, I would like to ask some more experienced ones here to create a list of fully compatible WIFI cards for notebooks (only mini PCIe, not miniPCI). I belive that most users that are currently stuck with Intel 3945/4965 (like myself) would like to check out some cheap third-party wifi cards, but don't know what to look for.

I ask for any mini PCIe wifi card that runs natively or with some simple driver installation.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on the laptop would depend whether it would require an Atheros based card or a Broadcom based card so what you want to do will be time consuming.

Guest BuildSmart
Nevertheless I don't see any reason why not to create a list of natively compatible mini PCIe wifi cards. And leave users the task of checking compatibility of particular card with their laptops. So come on lets do it ;)

miniPCIe - Dell 0MX846 - 802.11a/b/g/n <-- that's the extent of my list for miniPCIe due to exact same card as apple card just different subsystem ID's and you can rebrand to apple subsystem ID's and card works flawlessly.

Guest BuildSmart
So something along these lines then?

Dell 1505N MX846

It's advertised wrong, it supports 802.11a/b/g/n and at that price you'd be a fool not to buy it, from Dell it's $89.99 + shipping so at $46.xx it's a real deal.

It's advertised wrong, it supports 802.11a/b/g/n and at that price you'd be a fool not to buy it, from Dell it's $89.99 + shipping so at $46.xx it's a real deal.

That one sold so I picked up another one for $53, minus a -$5 eBay gift certificate I had. The form factor is correct for replacing the 4965 I have. Once it gets here I'll go about replacing it, especially because the Intel never worked on battery anyway.

Received, installed, and recognized immediately as a full-blown Airport card. No rebranding and blazing speed.

Also, Windows informs me that it's actually an 802.11a/b/d/g/h/n. If it's a router in current existence, I can use it.

So much win.

• 1 year later...

Hi, would that dell 1505 wireless card be compatable with mac os x? because i have it installed on my del insperon 1525 and am not sure if that card would be compatable if i installed mac. I did it previously on my sisters computer for her and the wifi didnt work so im lookin for a good card for it. Thanks.