Dell Truemobile 1490 (bcm4311) leopard 10.5.4

netkk

19 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm using kalyway (thanks!) 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 comboupdate, plus software update to get 10.5.4

Everything is working great on my inspiron 6400 (2 cores, graphic acceleration etc), but it came with intel 3945abg, which as far as I know has no drivers.

So I read a lot over this forums and found that many people were using the Dell Broadcom 1490 without problems on leopard, so I went to eBay and bought one. I installed it onto my laptop and... it doesn't work :D

It actually shows as an airport card: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x7) / Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.80.79.1) and I am able to see some (not all) wireless networks. My own wireless it's not showing there (while some of my neigbour's do appear). Anyway, I tried to connect to a friend's network which appeared rightly, and everytime I got an incorrect password message.

Strangely, if I use the right key, it says that the password is incorrect, but if I write an incorrect key, it says connection timed out...

I've been days reading everything I found on this forum to try to solve my problem, changed like a thousand times my kexts... always the same: networks appear but I can't connect.

Also, it's strage that my own network appears only sometimes... when it appears, i can't connect to it either.

One more thing: in system profile, and under airport card, it says something like that the local configuration for my card is USA and I'm on Europe, could this be of relevance?

So, please, is there anyone able to help me?... I'm really happy with leopard, everything but the wireless is working rightly, so I really want to fix this.

Thanks in advance, and sorry about my english.

Guest BuildSmart
Hi, I'm using kalyway (thanks!) 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 comboupdate, plus software update to get 10.5.4

Everything is working great on my inspiron 6400 (2 cores, graphic acceleration etc), but it came with intel 3945abg, which as far as I know has no drivers.

So I read a lot over this forums and found that many people were using the Dell Broadcom 1490 without problems on leopard, so I went to eBay and bought one. I installed it onto my laptop and... it doesn't work :)

It actually shows as an airport card: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x7) / Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.80.79.1) and I am able to see some (not all) wireless networks. My own wireless it's not showing there (while some of my neigbour's do appear). Anyway, I tried to connect to a friend's network which appeared rightly, and everytime I got an incorrect password message.

Strangely, if I use the right key, it says that the password is incorrect, but if I write an incorrect key, it says connection timed out...

I've been days reading everything I found on this forum to try to solve my problem, changed like a thousand times my kexts... always the same: networks appear but I can't connect.

Also, it's strage that my own network appears only sometimes... when it appears, i can't connect to it either.

One more thing: in system profile, and under airport card, it says something like that the local configuration for my card is EEUU and I'm on Europe, could this be of relevance?

So, please, is there anyone able to help me?... I'm really happy with leopard, everything but the wireless is working rightly, so I really want to fix this.

The card is supposed to be 802.11a/b/g.

It sounds like the card you have does not see the networks that are on the 5ghz band if only some are showing up or you have some AP's configured for 11n 5ghz without 11a compatibility enabled.

Does this card bear the Dell name and correct part number?

Maybe try deleting out your airport in the system prefs/network and then adding it back in. When i first got my broadcom, it said it wasnt configed, so i had to add it in through the network with the plus sign under your ethernet bluetooth etc... then i was able to search for networks, also try going throuhgh the advanced tab and adding it in manually

So I read a lot over this forums and found that many people were using the Dell Broadcom 1490 without problems on leopard, so I went to eBay and bought one. I installed it onto my laptop and... it doesn't work :)

One more thing: in system profile, and under airport card, it says something like that the local configuration for my card is EEUU and I'm on Europe, could this be of relevance?

The card is supposed to be 802.11a/b/g.

It sounds like the card you have does not see the networks that are on the 5ghz band if only some are showing up or you have some AP's configured for 11n 5ghz without 11a compatibility enabled.

Does this card bear the Dell name and correct part number?

I got the card out of the computer and cheked, and it doesn't bear "Dell" anywhere, but there's a stick which reads "DW 1490" I scanned the card, and I attach the image.

post-264883-1218302040_thumb.jpg

Also, I noticed that I can't connect neither with Windows or Linux... Is it possible that the card is broken? It's strange, because gets detected and finds the networks (or most of them)

Maybe try deleting out your airport in the system prefs/network and then adding it back in. When i first got my broadcom, it said it wasnt configed, so i had to add it in through the network with the plus sign under your ethernet bluetooth etc... then i was able to search for networks, also try going throuhgh the advanced tab and adding it in manually

I tried that already (several times, in fact) with no luck... I also tried to add my network manually but it would say "incorrect password" if the correct password was sent, and "connection timeout" if an incorrect one was sent.

Btw, I can see the networks, but I can't connect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you both so much!!

Guest BuildSmart
I got the card out of the computer and cheked, and it doesn't bear "Dell" anywhere, but there's a stick which reads "DW 1490" I scanned the card, and I attach the image.

post-264883-1218302040_thumb.jpg

Also, I noticed that I can't connect neither with Windows or Linux... Is it possible that the card is broken? It's strange, because gets detected and finds the networks (or most of them)

I tried that already (several times, in fact) with no luck... I also tried to add my network manually but it would say "incorrect password" if the correct password was sent, and "connection timeout" if an incorrect one was sent.

Btw, I can see the networks, but I can't connect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you both so much!!

It does bare the valid Dell part number and model number.

You bought this card new so something isn't right with this card if it's being reported as a real apple device when it's a Dell device so let's examine the card and see if we can figure out what's happening there before we go any further.

First, find and install the PCIUtils v3.0.0 (found in XLabs).

Post the section of output related to the card from the following command:

lspci -vvnn

Post the section of output related to the card from the following command:
lspci -vvnn

Ok, thank you very much. I installed PCIUtils v3, and the relevant section of "lspci -vvnn" output is:

0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0007]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: Memory at ecffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
	Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=375mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable+
	Address: fee00000  Data: 4094
Capabilities: [d0] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
	DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
		ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset-
	DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
		RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
		MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
	DevSta:	CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
	LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s, Latency L0 <4us, L1 <64us
		ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
	LnkCtl:	ASPM L0s Enabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
		ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
	LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
Capabilities: [100] #14e4

I include as an attachment the whole "lspci -vvnn" output, in case it might help.

One thing I noticed is that the chip on the card reads 4311, and here lspci reports 4312... I don't know if that's important.

Thank you so much again!!!!

lspci.txt

Some news here!

I followed the advice of DJSpike (thanks!) and changed my AP channel to 8 (formerly was 1), and now I can see my network all along without any problem.

And, he also suggested me to try to unsecure my wireless network and try, and so I did, and I can connect without any problem.

So, those are great news!!

But if I change the security of the AP to WEP, then I'm not able to connect, and the same strange behaviour I described before appears.

So, anyone knows why could this be happening? Why the security is not working?

Thank you all so much.

Guest BuildSmart
Some news here!

I followed the advice of DJSpike (thanks!) and changed my AP channel to 8 (formerly was 1), and now I can see my network all along without any problem.

And, he also suggested me to try to unsecure my wireless network and try, and so I did, and I can connect without any problem.

So, those are great news!!

But if I change the security of the AP to WEP, then I'm not able to connect, and the same strange behaviour I described before appears.

So, anyone knows why could this be happening? Why the security is not working?

Thank you all so much.

OK so your ID's are 0x14e4, 0x4312 but due to the subsystem ID's you are using the generic portion of the Broadcom driver and this is causing you problems with WPA and WPA2 however, your using WEP so you must use/set the #1 key as it's default, the generic driver only uses the #1 key and it expects this key to be the default.

You should not have to set the AP to any particular channel to see it.

You can try changing the subsystem ID's (subs-ystem vendor and sub-system product) to 0x106b and 0x004e and it will use the apple specific portions of the Broadcom driver, if you don't know how then don't bother to ask me, I'm to tired to explain the process any more and my response would be "google is your friend".

You can try changing the subsystem ID's (subs-ystem vendor and sub-system product) to 0x106b and 0x004e and it will use the apple specific portions of the Broadcom driver, if you don't know how then don't bother to ask me, I'm to tired to explain the process any more and my response would be "google is your friend".

You're a genius!

I changed my subsystem vendor and product as you said (and with a little help from your post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109613), and now I have fully working AirPort Extreme, with WEP support. It works without any problem.

Thank you so much!

Guest BuildSmart
You're a genius!

I changed my subsystem vendor and product as you said (and with a little help from your post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109613), and now I have fully working AirPort Extreme, with WEP support. It works without any problem.

Thank you so much!

This is something I have been saying for some time now, it's nice to see someone went out on a limb and did what I recommended and then took the time to make a public post about it's success, there are others who have not posted the results work but I don't want to name names.

I'd like to ask one more thing of you if you don't mind since many others with the same hardware would like the solution and I know that what I mention in that post only briefly explains how to make the changes it is not a complete solution.

Since I don't know if you did an install of linux or just worked from a Linux Live CD or what version of linux you used other than whatever you did use worked and you did it rather quickly and without too much fuss, could you create a tutorial that explains how a user can achieve the results and then contact a moderator here and have it posted as a sticky which would benefit many.

Just remember when creating a tutorial that you have to assume the user reading it is not very bright so be as descriptive and inclusive as you possibly can and provide as many real examples of used instructions as humanly possible.

I don't use linux to achieve the rebranding results and the software I use is not publicly available so creating a tutorial which uses software that no one can obtain makes no sense.

Since I don't know if you did an install of linux or just worked from a Linux Live CD or what version of linux you used other than whatever you did use worked and you did it rather quickly and without too much fuss, could you create a tutorial that explains how a user can achieve the results and then contact a moderator here and have it posted as a sticky which would benefit many.

I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed, so that's what I used, but any liveCD (like the Ubuntu Installer CD) should work as long as it has Internet connection (to get the required software).

The tutorial would be mainly a rewrite of your post, but of course I can do it. I used exactly the same software you post there, and the same procedure shown on your post's "terminal session" section. But I can write a tutorial, of course, trying to be as descriptive as I can.

Now the "lspci --vvnn" output of my card reads (just in case someone finds that useful):

0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:004e]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

I also checked the card to work under Windows, and it does work with the original Dell drivers without problem.

Thank you again.

Guest BuildSmart
I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed, so that's what I used, but any liveCD (like the Ubuntu Installer CD) should work as long as it has Internet connection (to get the required software).

The tutorial would be mainly a rewrite of your post, but of course I can do it. I used exactly the same software you post there, and the same procedure shown on your post's "terminal session" section. But I can write a tutorial, of course, trying to be as descriptive as I can.

Now the "lspci --vvnn" output of my card reads (just in case someone finds that useful):

Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:004e]

I also checked the card to work under Windows, and it does work with the original Dell drivers without problem.

Thank you again.

For your card you should have used 0x106b,0x0087 because it supports a/b/g where as 0x106b, 0x004e is for b/g cards although it in theory should still function properly with the 0x004e.

I can also see that sleep is fully supported by your wifi adapter as well as wireless roaming (you can go from network to network without losing your connection).

For your card you should have used 0x106b,0x0087 because it supports a/b/g where as 0x106b, 0x004e is for b/g cards although it in theory should still function properly with the 0x004e.

I changed the values to 0x106b,0x0087, thanks. It's working like a charm.

About the windows drivers, the drivers from Dell actually work, but the installer doesn't, so you have to manually install them. First download the driver from dell and start the installation, it will decompress on C:\Dell\R174291\, and then the installer will begin, but it won't work. Close the installer and you will have the .inf files on that C:\Dell\R174291\ directory. So manually install them and everything will be working.

I'm starting to work on the step by step tutorial, getting screenshots and so on, but I don't know how to know which vendor and product values people should use. I'm only able to explain what you helped me to do with the values you gave me. Do you think it would be enough?

Thanks

Guest BuildSmart
I changed the values to 0x106b,0x0087, thanks. It's working like a charm.

About the windows drivers, the drivers from Dell actually work, but the installer doesn't, so you have to manually install them. First download the driver from dell and start the installation, it will decompress on C:\Dell\R174291\, and then the installer will begin, but it won't work. Close the installer and you will have the .inf files on that C:\Dell\R174291\ directory. So manually install them and everything will be working.

I'm starting to work on the step by step tutorial, getting screenshots and so on, but I don't know how to know which vendor and product values people should use. I'm only able to explain what you helped me to do with the values you gave me. Do you think it would be enough?

Thanks

I would try to perform/explain the process using the Live-CD rather than the install.

The following might help. (your dell part uses primary subsystem ID)

Subsystem ID's to use based on the cards vendorID/productID (some must use the secondary ID due to specific PHY devices)

• 0x14e4/0x4311
  • 802.11b/g = 0x106b, 0x004e
  • 802.11a/b/g = 0x106b, 0x0087
  • 802.11a/b/g = 0x106b, 0x4311 (secondary)

• 0x14e4/0x4312
  • 802.11a/b/g = 0x106b, 0x4312 (secondary)

• 0x14e4/0x4318
  • 802.11b/g = 0x106b, 0x4318 (secondary)
  • 802.11a/b/g = 0x106b, 0x4318 (secondary)

• 0x14e4/0x431c
  • 802.11b/g = 0x106b, 0x0087
  • 802.11a/b/g = 0x106b, 0x431c (secondary)

• 0x14e4/0x4320
  • 802.11b/g = 0x106b, 0x4320 (secondary)
  • 802.11a/b/g = 0x106b, 0x4320 (secondary)

• 0x14e4/0x4328
  • 802.11b/g/n = 0x106b, 0x4328
  • 802.11a/b/g/n = 0x106b, 0x0087

• 0x14e4/0x4329 (WMP300N and WLI-PCI-G300N)
  • 802.11b/g/n = 0x106b, 0x4329
  • 802.11a/b/g/n = 0x106b, 0x0087

• 5 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart
I am on the same problem with a 1490 in my Asus V1S.

Is there any way to change the System und Vendor ID of the card without the use of linux?

Your only option is to use a linux of some sort and the linux tools.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, BuildSmart. Now I see my Dell 1490 (Broadcom 4312) as AirPort.

But i see it switched OFF and all of my attempts to turn it ON were go-round.

In DELL notebook (unfortunately not mine) it working good. But in my ACER TM4230 WiFi LED is constantly off, hardware switch not working...

WiFi switch not working uner WinXPSP2 too. I mean something wrong in BIOS :(

Maybe you have any ideas how to switch it on? Maybe something solder forewer ... I can do it.

• 1 month later...