Dell Studio / Best Buy

6 posts in this topic

I've seen that Dell Inspiron works well for OSx86, but what about the new Dell Studio laptops. They have nearly the same specs, in particular I'm looking at this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1211454761803

If not that are any of the other best buy machines (in-store) a better deal/value/compatibility? I'm looking to use their financing deal :D

Thanks!

Alright, I bought this and well... it's not the best hackintosh.

Most installations work, some even vanilla once you remove the video drivers.

Chipset is GMA965 with X3100 video. This should possibly be usable, but I haven't been able to get it working yet.

No wifi. It's a Dell 1397 half height mini PCI express card. I'd like to swap it out with something else, but I don't know of a working half-height card... (suggestions ?)

No network/LAN. Broadcom BCM5784M ... can't find anything on this one.

No bluetooth - Dell 370 - havent looked into this at all

no Audio - IDT 92HD73C1 - not working as far as I can tell

So well... I failed. I'm only now starting to get the full understanding of these forums and how hackintoshes work. I guess you need to jump in head first sometimes.

if anyone can suggest a mini-PCIE *HALF HEIGHT* that would be a good replacement, let me know. Otherwise I'm going to get a few USB addons, ugh.

Alright, I bought this and well... it's not the best hackintosh.

Most installations work, some even vanilla once you remove the video drivers.

Chipset is GMA965 with X3100 video. This should possibly be usable, but I haven't been able to get it working yet.

No wifi. It's a Dell 1397 half height mini PCI express card. I'd like to swap it out with something else, but I don't know of a working half-height card... (suggestions ?)

No network/LAN. Broadcom BCM5784M ... can't find anything on this one.

No bluetooth - Dell 370 - havent looked into this at all

no Audio - IDT 92HD73C1 - not working as far as I can tell

So well... I failed. I'm only now starting to get the full understanding of these forums and how hackintoshes work. I guess you need to jump in head first sometimes.

if anyone can suggest a mini-PCIE *HALF HEIGHT* that would be a good replacement, let me know. Otherwise I'm going to get a few USB addons, ugh.

It works well for me. I was unable to get LAN/wifi/audio working. All else works here. You also have a full height mini-pcie slot you can put a normal card into. I first used a Dell 1395 wifi card then I swapped it for an AirPort Extreme card, both recognized by airport software. I use a JLab usb speaker for audio or a bluetooth dongle to headset or speakers. For video, power management, AppleSMBIOS I use sonotones driver package: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

It works well for me. I was unable to get LAN/wifi/audio working. All else works here. You also have a full height mini-pcie slot you can put a normal card into. I first used a Dell 1395 wifi card then I swapped it for an AirPort Extreme card, both recognized by airport software. I use a JLab usb speaker for audio or a bluetooth dongle to headset or speakers. For video, power management, AppleSMBIOS I use sonotones driver package: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

Cool, thanks! This forum is so big I hadn't even hit on that sonotones post yet. I've been researching USB wifi dongles, but if there's a full-height slot in there I'll just do that*. Can't wait to get home and try a few things out. yay :angel:

*too bad the only other card I have is an Intel3945ABG, so I still have to buy something.

• 2 months later...

I just got one 2 days ago (on it now)

what version is best to install on this? I am new to it all but had an older lappy running JaS 10.4. something a while back so not totally new... I had to try about 5 versions before I got one right with all the right things checked to install (or not).

I'm asking to be spoon fed here and all but if you will at least throw me a bone that will be great. I know bunch of people have this lappy and want it up and running

Thanks!

• 10 months later...