Very annoyed with DistroWatch Weekly Comments again

Alessandro17

13 posts in this topic

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20...ode=67#comments comment #13

13 • Parsix (by Gene Venable on 2008-08-04 12:47:53 GMT from United States)

Parsix is better than your review. It has a very clean and attractive look, and it works well. I am a newbie at using my new Centro phone, and the first issue was how to do Syncing in Linux. To my surprise, Parsix seemed to be ready for me and setting up was surprisingly easy. Not so for my other main distro, Sidux, where I am still trying to find my way.

And btw, Persia not only doesn't really exist any more, but there is a big issue that apparently no one but me in my paranioa has thought of. Parsix is from Iran, a potential enemy of the US and maybe a lot of the world. Now, if I was thinking of cyberwarfare against an enemy, I might build an attractive program and conceal features in it that I could use if war broke out. Does someone from the US govt or other govts look at this sort of issue? The nice thing about Parsix is that it is open source, so any odd hooks in it could be discovered. But is anyone paying attention?

I know, Parsix is probably innocent and I am still using it. But it must be someone's job to wonder about these things. And I wonder how Iran allows such a cool program like Parsix to develop, in friendly collaboration with the entire world of Linux.

In my book this is an idiotic, flamebait post. And besides, totally off-topic, as it has much more to do with politics than with Linux.

But what do they do? Do they delete it? No way, they leave it and they delete the replies.

This happens on a regular basis. Sometimes people insult you, but if you reply to defend yourself, they delete your post.

This is is the most cretinous moderation style I have ever seen. So you let the trolls thrive, but you don't allow "normal" users to reply? :bag: :pirate2:

Shortly after my post above, the "infamous" post #13 was edited as follows:

13 • Parsix (by Gene Venable on 2008-08-04 12:47:53 GMT from United States)

Parsix is better than your review. It has a very clean and attractive look, and it works well. I am a newbie at using my new Centro phone, and the first issue was how to do Syncing in Linux. To my surprise, Parsix seemed to be ready for me and setting up was surprisingly easy. Not so for my other main distro, Sidux, where I am still trying to find my way.

Which of course is now totally "clean".

I don't know if it was just a coincidence or, more likely, protesting in a free, important forum like ours does help.

I have seen such comments on other distros as well, the problem is that as more and more people start using linux, we start having losers using it as well.

This person obviously doesn't know how linux works, its impossible to conceal any code since its open source, and besides does the origin of the distro matter anyway?

I don't think Persia exists anymore but the language still does as far as I know, besides weren't areas near Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan part of the Persian Empire? :(

besides does the origin of the distro matter anyway?

Exactly, it doesn't. And besides I have known a few Iranians in my life, they are very nice people

I don't think Persia exists anymore but the language still does as far as I know, besides weren't areas near Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan part of the Persian Empire? :(

Indeed, the Persian Empire was huge. They almost conquered ancient Greece.

But my main beef is with the DistroWatch moderation. It is not the first time I am at odds with them. There have always been n00bs and idiots, but what about moderators who favour trolls and go against more reasonable users?

This was my previous thread about DistroWatch:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=76329&hl=

They need better moderators then or perhaps the moderators just don't care?

Maybe there is only one: Ladislav.

Have other people asked the mods to remove that post?

I wouldn't know. The only way to get in touch with them is by email (or by writing in the forum, if your post doesn't get deleted).

I was wondering cause some people just post asking mods to delete certain comments :)

edit

oh yeah, I just read u liked Mandriva as well :D Its always been one of my favorite distros after suse, I heard Cyberlink is considering making a linux native bluray movie player so I am going to get that with the Mandriva power pack

Nero for linux already has a bluray burner as well, I am trying to find the link about the Cyberlink stuff

edit

sorry, Nero has a burner available so I just corrected that and as for cyberlink, they r still considering so it isn't confirmed :)

Yes, do you like my new avatar? :P

And I changed my sig as well.

I noticed too. ;) Being a Trek fan (especially of TNG), I heartily approve. :D

As for the sig, out of curiousity, so you now no longer like/advocate openSUSE the most, or just decided to be more neutral as to not attract the flamers? Not related I know, but it's interesting that you're now suggesting the very three distros I'm deciding among to foist upon my girlfriend. ;) (I'm leaning towards Mandriva, if you're curious; it will probably be a bit of time before we actually get to it at this rate.)

I noticed too. ;) Being a Trek fan (especially of TNG), I heartily approve. :blink:

:D

As for the sig, out of curiousity, so you now no longer like/advocate openSUSE the most, or just decided to be more neutral as to not attract the flamers? Not related I know, but it's interesting that you're now suggesting the very three distros I'm deciding among to foist upon my girlfriend. :rolleyes: (I'm leaning towards Mandriva, if you're curious; it will probably be a bit of time before we actually get to it at this rate.)

I didn't feel, in all honesty, like advocating solely openSUSE any longer. As I have already said, I put Mandriva on my laptop.

While openSUSE remains an excellent distribution, there are a few issues, both with the software and with the community (especially the new forum) which lead me to this conclusion.

OpenSUSE is hellbent on being bleeding edge and on changing everything very fast from a release to the next. That leaves the users confused and, at least since 10.0/10.1 every release has had a few but annoying bugs.

Mandriva, OTOH is "cutting edge", that is, a bit more conservative.

And then Debian is quite conservative (no sign of KDE4 in Lenny, for instance).

It is pretty amazing that the 3 distributions I am now suggesting are the same you had in mind for your girlfriend (it must mean that they are indeed the best :P ).

Mandriva was my very first distro, but then I moved to (open)SUSE and Debian which I have always loved in almost equal measure (even if in this forum it wasn't all that obvious).

Mandriva has become really good in the last couple of years. They have also "solved" a few issues which used to annoy me, especially the paid club membership, now replaced by a "Powerpack download subscription", something which I had in mind for several years. There is also a very strong, nice sense of community in their forum.