xplodes guide, pearpc issues

EncodedProcess83

4 posts in this topic

hey i am using xplodes guide for native onto an sse2 processor. at the point where it says to boot pearpc, pearpc wont boot the hd image. ive already installed the tiger dev kit. im given the error 'cannot find boot file' in pearpc. so i checked a guide to installing tiger onto pearpc, and it says to open the disk utility to repair permissions. so in trying that, the disk utility is stuck on 'Gathering Disk Information...' and the grey circle just keeps spinning, but the pinwheel cursor disappears. after an hour or two i stopped it. what is the problem? and is there another way to repair the disk permissions? like perhaps through the terminal? thanks in advance

I also had this problem with Disk Utility when booting from the Dev Kit DVD. I ended up using the "install Tiger from Panther" method, because the installer also wouldn't show my disk image when asking where to install. For the cannot find boot file error, you could boot from a standard Tiger DVD instead (if you have one), or simply skip this step - you don't need to do the restart in PearPC. Just copy over all the files and do your first restart on x86... Worked just fine for me.

ahh ok. thanks judy! i was so worked up on that step.

but now im stuck on another issue: VMWare and Darwin. first off, can this be done on a usb drive? if not, stop me there, and let me get an internal. if it can be, when i boot into the installer, it just says 'Welcome to the Darwin Installer' or somthin like that, then it says somnething like 'Disks available for installation:' and the blinking cursor just blinks underneath that. is this cuz its a external?

and if i do it to an image, can i just dd that to my external later on?

thanks again

ahh ok. thanks judy! i was so worked up on that step.

but now im stuck on another issue: VMWare and Darwin. first off, can this be done on a usb drive? if not, stop me there, and let me get an internal. if it can be, when i boot into the installer, it just says 'Welcome to the Darwin Installer' or somthin like that, then it says somnething like 'Disks available for installation:' and the blinking cursor just blinks underneath that. is this cuz its a external?

and if i do it to an image, can i just dd that to my external later on?

thanks again

I don't really know if it can be done with an external drive, but if Windows recognizes the drive, VMware should, too, because it uses the Windows interface. That being said, yep, it is pretty normal that Darwin doesn't show any disks for installation the first time you boot up. This is because you have to partition the disk and create a file system first. After the reboot, the disk you just initialized should show up.