Metal Gear Solid on Mac OS X

Nick-nmycon

8 posts in this topic

hey i just realized something...

i read on another forum that Cider will crash whenever it tries to load an app.

well MGS always loads a License Agreement before the game loads... could this be what is crashing the game?

if so how could i remove the agreement? any program codes i could edit?

ok... so i FINALLY Managed to get it working.

I had the PC version but due to difficulties with Bootcamp, Crossover, Crossover Games AND Cider...

i was forced to emulate it. I downloaded a PSX torrent (Disc 1 and Disc 2) and the PCSX emulator for Mac OS X

Now originally the game was crashing on me and when i figured out how to run it it was slow but still very playable

now i managed to get the speed up to about what it would normally be

here are my settings for anybody else with what options are checked (access the settengs under Preferences)

Emulation Tab:

Check Parasite Eve 2, Vandal Hearts 1/2

Check SIO IRQ Always Enabled

Uncheck all other options (especially "Dynarec CPU Core" this will cause EVERY SINGLE GAME to crash)

Plugins Tab:

Under Graphics Click Configure

Check Use Frame Skipping

Change "Dither Graphics" to "Never"

Check Enable Hacks (this enables hack selection)

Check Use PC FPS Calculation

Check Lazy Screen Updates

Check Use Old Frame Skipping

Uncheck all other options

Now MGS will be running much faster making it easier and more enjoyable to play!

Also, if you wish to boot ISO's (assuming you already own the original game OF COURSE! otherwise thats pirating... but who am i to stop you... lol!) you must download a plugin called Mooby CD Disk Image Drive, then when you go to Run CD it will bring up a browsing menu where you can select your ROM

NOTE: I have not gotten to the disk swap point so i have no idea how well that works

I assume you go to Edit > Eject CD

then go to File > Run CD and load the ROM

• 1 year later...

i get to the part where i blow up the wall at the armory with C4 and i'm suppose to fight ocelot (I'm pretty sure) and he is a no show. It is an ISO . maybe bad ISO or the emulator Compatibility problem. it's like i'm late to the party.

• 7 months later...
i get to the part where i blow up the wall at the armory with C4 and i'm suppose to fight ocelot (I'm pretty sure) and he is a no show. It is an ISO . maybe bad ISO or the emulator Compatibility problem. it's like i'm late to the party.

Using wineskin you can also easily get it working.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, I have some experience on running Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance on my mac.

There is two ways I've found:

1st and most obvious - Install Win XP through BootCamp

2nd - run on virtual machine in Mac OS X

First method I think don't need to explain, so I will tell about second...

You need vmWare Fusion 3.1.3 and original MGS2 with No-DVD + copy of Windows XP

Basically installation of Windows through vmWare is very simple and quick so you won't have a problem,

Then in Virtual Machine install your MGS2

On my mac it was working pretty fast but small issues with textures

Note that it will work only with vmWare, Parallels won't give you any picture when you will try to execute this...

Hope you find it helpful,

Cheers!

PS I didn't try any of numerous patches for MGS2 so maybe you can try to eliminate all issues by yourself :wacko: