OSX directly from Windows?

8086ed

27 posts in this topic

EDIT

It works! Scroll down to post 19 for details!

I read somewhere that you could dd from WinXP. I considder myself pretty experienced with Windows, but never have had to "dd" anything. Do you have to install a separate app to dd? Or can you just run it from the command line?

From http://www.360hacker.net/forums/viewtopic....r=asc&start=30:

1. Boot into Linux.

2. Open a terminal and run the su command to become root.

3. Your C: drive is most like NTFS and on /dev/hda1 so run this command: mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt

4. cd /mnt and you should be looking at your C drive folders and files.

5. cp tiger-86-flat.img / (this may be a unnecessary step but I dont trust running dd and reading from an ntfs partition

6. run the command cd /

7. then run the dd command from above looks like dd if=/tiger-x86-flat.img of= etc etc etc

If you could dd from Windows, this would be the easiest install to date, right?

Thanks for your help.

that dd will do just fine. there is a nice guide to do this, available here: http://www.tech-recipes.com/apple_mac_tips964.html

if ya want, you could use the dd at the link provided at the site. either way, it should work. however, if you want to do it on a partition, ive never done that before, but you would use the dd at the link provided by 8086ed, because of its support of '--link'. a guide for that is available here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...le_And_Accurate

if ya choose to use the first method, remember you cant do it on ur windows hard drive, as you'll erase windows, and will have to restart the os from scratch. good luck to both of you!

ok.. make sure you have a totally empty UN-partitioned drive. boot off your windows drive and load up winhex (need full version). Goto tools -> disk tools -> clone disk. load up the tiger-x86-flat.img file in the top box. select your EMPTY hard drive in the bottom box. also click the tick that says something about speeding up performance. then click ok until you see the status bar..

should take about 5 mins depending on the speed of your comp.

That's cool, but I want to do it on my laptop, and don't have an external drive. I partitioned it, and want to put it on that partition.

Do you have a way to do that? It sounds a lot faster and easier; I'm all about faster and easier.

I have been reading... ALOT.... but just never can find the right informtion. Is it possible to install Mac on an extended partition? I have my Winderz on C:/ drive, I created a 20gig extended partion from it using PartitionMagic.

Maybe it's absolutely neccessary to install Mac on it's own drive as a primary partition?

IDK if that's possible. It's really easy to delete that extended partition and create a primary from w/in Partition Magic.

yes you are right. I'm worried about not being able to boot back into windows again. It's very rare that one has to edit the create/delete partition and edit MBR. Data are all backed up and yes, it's pretty stupid of me to run this on a production computer. But I think it's worth it. I still have my pocketpc to get back to this site incase something does goes wrong :).

Assuming thet all my hardware requirments are met and all appropriate patches are applied, I can just use the version from vmware and Mac will recognize my hardware?

I don't know, man. I'm no expert on this, but it should at least run. Don't take that advice to mean anything though.

I don't usually even backup my data when running Partition Magic, but I don't do anything that important. :)

Assuming thet all my hardware requirments are met and all appropriate patches are applied, I can just use the version from vmware and Mac will recognize my hardware?

if ur talkin about the vmware image "tiger-x86-flat.img" then it should. the dd method should work [and the apparent hex editor, which ive never done], but since the data on ur comp seems to be very sensitive, id suggest trying it on an extra drive, just to be safe. although the final decision is up to u. good luck.

Alright... After staying up until 3AM last night, I got it working.

Parts taken from http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...le_And_Accurate

(Thank you, EncodedProcess83!)

I used Partition Magic to resize my Windows partition, then followed these directions from the wiki above (I did NOT create a partition yet):

New partition (Windows XP method)

You will need a 6gb Partition for the OSX install. Most installs of Windows use the full drive under one partition. So you will need to free up space. There are many tools out there that can resize a partition (OSX will boot from the end of the drive, so no worries) like Partition Magic. Resize your partition so you have over 6.5 gb left at the end. Leave it completely blank for now (do not create a filesystem or partition of any kind).

The diskpart utility (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/diskpart.mspx) included with Windows XP can create a suitable partition without booting into Linux. Run diskpart from cmd.

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status      Size    Free    Dyn  Gpt

--------  ----------  -------  -------  ---  ---

Disk 0    Online        56 GB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

Extended partitions will not work, only primary partitions. If there are "Extended" and "Logical" partitions, they can be deleted and a primary partition can be created in their place. The logical partition deletes fine with diskpart, but trying to delete the extended partition (the container that holds logical partitions) in diskpart may result in this error:

DISKPART> delete partition

The selected partition may be neccessary to the operation of your computer, and

may not be deleted.

If this occurs, the logical partition can be deleted in Disk Manangement, which can be ran by typing diskmgmt.msc in cmd, or for those that prefer the GUI: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managament -> Disk Management. After there is enough free space, proceed to create a primary partition of type 0xaf:

DISKPART> create partition primary id=af

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size    Offset

-------------  ----------------  -------  -------

Partition 1    Primary            32 GB    32 KB

* Partition 2    Unknown            24 GB    32 GB

DISKPART>

exit

If you wanted the partition to be only around 6.5gb since that's all the Tiger image is, and you don't want a whole 40gb HD gone to waste with a HFS+ filesystem that Windows can't read, use the "create" command with the size attribute like this: (same as above but notice the Size attribute):

DISKPART> create partition primary size=6660 id=af

Notice how diskpart says the type is "Unknown". Disk Management will show "Healthy (Unknown partition)" as well if you specified the type correctly and it will not show up as a drive letter under Windows. You are now ready to load this new partition with Apple's HFS+ disk image.

Using dd for Windows, I used a command similar to this:

dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 bs=512 skip=63

The dd didn't take an hour... it took TWO!!! I'm on a 5400 RPM 100GB laptop drive, though.

Read the wiki for more details.

I then used partition magic to set the OSX partition as active and Voila! It works! It booted fine with no need to use any boot options. Audio even works. I still have a to-do list, though:

Wireless needs a driver or something

Core Graphics needs patch

Need Video Drivers

USB doesn't work

Need to apply SSE3 patch

Need to set up Boot Loader

ENJOY!

I'll find what I need eventually, but if you guys could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

BTW, the machine I put it on is a:

Dell XPS G2 Laptop

2.13 Pentium M (SSE2)

1GB RAM

100GB HDD

GeForce 6800 Go Ultra

Broadcom 570x Gb Ethernet Adapter

Dell Wireless 1370 Wireless card

If you guys have experience with any of the last three parts in OSX86, and can get them working to their full potential (I'm 80% sure the Ethernet is working fine.), PLEASE let me know.

Thanks for your support, and good luck to all who attempt it!

BTW, I used the tiger-x86flat.img image.

ok.. make sure you have a totally empty UN-partitioned drive. boot off your windows drive and load up winhex (need full version). Goto tools -> disk tools -> clone disk. load up the tiger-x86-flat.img file in the top box. select your EMPTY hard drive in the bottom box. also click the tick that says something about speeding up performance. then click ok until you see the status bar..

should take about 5 mins depending on the speed of your comp.

Hi, I tried to do this, but the programa told "The volume does not contain a regognized file system"... Did tou say "un-partioned drive" ? ... How It's possible ?? Help!!

haha. glad to be of help.

MilanoRex, theres an FAQ on dualbooting with WinGRUB on the wiki: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...oot_Related_FAQ

SirMaximM, an unpartitioned drive just means that theres no split, as in the drive is only recognized as one letter, if any at all. you can check this using the app called partition magic. try using the dd method. unless ideasman wants to help you out there.

haha. glad to be of help.

MilanoRex, theres an FAQ on dualbooting with WinGRUB on the wiki: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...oot_Related_FAQ

SirMaximM, an unpartitioned drive just means that theres no split, as in the drive is only recognized as one letter, if any at all. you can check this using the app called partition magic. try using the dd method. unless ideasman wants to help you out there.

WinGrub didnt work for me.. i got it working with the chain0 boot method. Both systems working perfectly now <_<

Ok, I'm tring by dd methodo, so ... I have a 2 partitions, first with WiXP and seccond un-formated, how can I use this command: dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda2 bs=512 skip=63

?? The partition is un-formated, this command will be able to work? What's the name of the "un-formated" partition?

Thanks

Ok, I'm tring by dd methodo, so ... I have a 2 partitions, first with WiXP and seccond un-formated, how can I use this command: dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda2 bs=512 skip=63

?? The partition is un-formated, this command will be able to work? What's the name of the "un-formated" partition?

Thanks

ok. it depends. if ur using windows, then no. the command above uses linux "references" to hard disk partitions. use the command 'dd --list' and from there decide whcih partition to use. the command should look like this if in windows:

dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=//?/Device/Harddisk0/Partition2 bs=512 skip=63

obviously depending on ur partition.