Skulltrail! Thanks Realityiswhere!

Mckitrick

13 posts in this topic

Hi Gang!

Thanks to realityiswhere we managed to get a Skulltrail working great with Kalyway 10.5.2

It's an Intel D5400XS Mobo with two 9775 CPU's - NO Overclocking

There are two pieces of 2G FBRAM which I had to MacGyver the heatsinks since I bought them for a MacPro not realizing just how big the darned heatsinks were. The RAM manufacturer (Techworks) was very friendly via email and they tried to be helpful but apparently the slim heatsinks would have to be ordered from Japan. I just took out the dremel tool and went to town (I'm either brave or dumb).

I didn't need a working leopard install to get it going

It's a vanilla kernel on nforce

The original ATI X1950 Pro caused misery at first trying cpus=1 -x -v didn't do much so I replaced it with a Galaxy 8800GTS

Here's some fun pics!

post-261193-1216954309_thumb.jpg

post-261193-1216954590_thumb.png

post-261193-1216954598_thumb.png

post-261193-1216954662_thumb.png

post-261193-1216954670_thumb.png

Incredible job realityiswhere! Wow.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first Hackintosh:

Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) : (2x) Intel Xeon X5460 (3.16GHz) : 4 Gigs FB DDR2 800 : WD5000AAKS : BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB : LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray Burner : NZXT TEMPEST (1000W CORSAIR PSU) : Kalyway 10.5.2

I was able to get Kalyway to install, but three issues I am having trouble with at this time are: Kalyway DVD must be in drive to boot, system will not come out of sleep mode (currently disabled), and no audio.

Under About this Mac>>More Info>>Hardware>>Audio (Built In) reads No Built-in Audio. I have tried AppleHDA Patcher v1.16 with the Sigmatel Stac9274D codec dump. It will install and say reboot, but on reboot I still get No Built-in Audio. I have been searching the net high and low and have not found a fix. Any suggestions, install instructions, or point me to a guide on the web it would be greatly appreciated.

1. For your audio: if that dump didn't work for you, try using a linux livecd and dump your own codec.

boot into the linux OS (Ubuntu is one of the easiest, and most well known) without installing it, and launch a terminal, then type:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codec.txt

that will place a codec.txt on your linux desktop, plug a flash drive in, copy it to the flash drive, and reboot into OS X, then dump that specific codec.

**Note** if codec#0 produces no results, try codec#1 or codec#2 in place of that bit of code. if you know anything about linux, you can also manually navigate to /proc/asound/ and find the exact directory. **Note**

System profiler always lies about audio btw, unless you install HDAenabler by kabyl available at ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30097 ). With HDAenabler.kext installed you can further try using efistudio with the HDEF option, which sometimes works when the codec dump does not.

2. For sleep, that part hasn't fully been figured out yet, it just kernel panicked for us too, try using the nforce kernel, we never tried it.

3. For the boot problem, install "Chameleon for hard disk" by kalyway, which has a modified boot-132 package inside, and chameleon combined, which is how we got this install to work. Available here ( http://tinyurl.com/6je4eh )

Realityiswhere,

I was able to get the audio working by using Kext Helpter b7 to load HDAEnabler.kext, reboot, then using AppleHDA Patcher v1.16 to load Sigmatel STAC9274D. (THANKS!)

I am a little lost when on the boot issue. I downloaded Chameleon DFE for Hard Disk.zip and unzipped it. The read me file inside the image says "1 - Copy the contents of your "Extra" folder to "Extra Contents" directory link !!!"...where is the "Extra" folder(I have searched my Leopard Install disk and I do not see it)? I did try just running the pkg file and it said it was a successful install, but nothing has changed.

Not sure if this will help or not:

During boot while the Mobo is going through it checks the following is displayed reguardless whether or not I have the Kalyway DVD in the drive.

Marvell 88SW61xx Adapter BIOS Verison 1.1.0.L62

Adapter 1

Disks Information:

No hard disk is detected!

I have my 500gb SATA 3.0gb disk with Leopard hooked to SATA0 on the Mobo and the DVD drive on SATA1.

If the Kalyway Disk is not in the drive Bios tries looking on my network for a boot image and when it does not find one it gives a message about Intel Boot agent unloading or closing (did not copy exact message.

If the Kalyway Disk is the drive I see info about Dawin Bootloader loading then I get the message to press any key to boot from disk or press F8 key.

Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Glad to hear you got your sound working, about your hard drive issue, you may have to load the nforceata.kext from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77071 , I believe we only got it to boot with the chameleon for hard disk after loading this, as the skulltrail platform is a combination intel/nforce chipset.

lemme know how that turns out -_-

hey realityiswhere I have a issue maybe you can help with. install 10.5.2 kalyway with everything working no problems. updated using kalyway's comb update to 10.5.3 no problems. then software update to 10.5.4 and I cant reboot or shut down. I was adviced to try this ktext: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30965 and now not only can I not reboot/shutdown but my keyboard no longer works.

if your keyboard no longer works, if it's usb it's probably no longer receiving power from usb ports... you could load the terminal on the dvd and manually replace it with the backup of your previous AppleAPCPIPlatform.kext and that would fix your keyboard problem.. about your shutdown and reboot..

you should also fully read the instructions before trying new kexts, in the post with that attached kext ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404 )it says

11 July, For Restart fix -Open AppleACPIPlatform Binary in hex Editor & replace E8 A0 FF FF FF with B0 FE E6 64 F4 ( thanks to CharlesB )

attached below latest AppleACPIPlatform.kext

Hello All!

Found out my USB ports are not really working correctly. I have searched for some solutions and tried a few, but none of the have changed a thing. (Amazingly none of them have even made the ports stop working...knock on wood.)

If I have my thumb drive and/or iPod plugged into any USB port prior to booting my machine they are found and are usable. Thumb drive shows up on the desktop iTumes starts up automaticly (iTunes recognizes my iTouch) and iPod charges. When I boot without my thumb drive and/or iPod plugged into any USB port they will not be FULLY recognized. My iPod does not even get power to charge. I say they are not FULLY recognized because after plugging them into any port and then opening System Profiler>>Hardware>>USB I see them listed under one of the five USB Buses listed. I am just not able to access/use them in any way.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or to a thread for a fix.

I also noticed the exact same thing with my firewire port. If my video camera is plugged in prior to booting all is well (I have even tested it with Final Cut and was able to digitize video). If I do not have it plugged in and plug it in later, it shows up under System Profiler>>Hardware>>Firewire, but unable to use. Final Cut even gives it warning that no device was found.

Thanks for the Help!