Time Machine and FAT32

x-legs

2 posts in this topic

I have a network shared (by Windows XP) external hard drive. It has two partitions formatted as NTFS. I also have a Macbook Pro running Leopard. I want to take advantage of TIme Machine, but I read it only supports the HFS+ Filesystem. I looked up GParted and it does not support the creation of HSF+. I read somewhere that FAT32 Partitions can be automattically formated by Time Machine, but I am not quite sure what to do.

I am wondering how to non-destructively shrink one of my NTFS partitions and create a HFS+ Partition without affecting my existing Windows backups. Or can I just shrink the NTFS partition, make a FAT32 partition, and just let Time Machine format it without it touching my data.

PS. I was able to look at my NTFS shares via the Finder, but it was seen as a folder. Do I need to mount it as a network drive like in Windows? If so, how? Will HFS+ be recognized as a drive? I just need clarification here.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

use paragon partition manager 9. it also has a bootable cd u can boot from. it works on any windows version and you can resize and create an uformatted partition u can later format with disk utility

I have a network shared (by Windows XP) external hard drive. It has two partitions formatted as NTFS. I also have a Macbook Pro running Leopard. I want to take advantage of TIme Machine, but I read it only supports the HFS+ Filesystem. I looked up GParted and it does not support the creation of HSF+. I read somewhere that FAT32 Partitions can be automattically formated by Time Machine, but I am not quite sure what to do.

I am wondering how to non-destructively shrink one of my NTFS partitions and create a HFS+ Partition without affecting my existing Windows backups. Or can I just shrink the NTFS partition, make a FAT32 partition, and just let Time Machine format it without it touching my data.

PS. I was able to look at my NTFS shares via the Finder, but it was seen as a folder. Do I need to mount it as a network drive like in Windows? If so, how? Will HFS+ be recognized as a drive? I just need clarification here.

Thanks