How to reinstall Windows AFTER successfull Leopard boot

lonalymac

4 posts in this topic

Hello. I made a really coragous [or stupid] move:

I put my leo4all disc in my optical discs drive and BANG! deleted old windows and installed

new Leopard 10.5.2 on fresh partitions.While I was doing that I kept thinking: there must be

a way : I will make 2 partitions : on one I will install Leo, and the second I'll leave empty and

in the future I'll install windows on it and I will have a dual boot. I would have done that but

none of my windows disks was bootable [except for xp but this one is out of game].

Now I'm running Leo 10.5.2. I've installed all the kext beautifully and everything is running

really smoothly [ except that my dual core processor isn't supported - shame, isn't it]

So my question is this : I left one partition TOTALLy empty. Is there a way, from this point,

when I have Leo installed on one partition, to Install WINDOWS on the second one and

have a dual-boot PC???

Assuming the only disk (disk 0), Mac is on partition 1, Winblows is on partition 2 and is formatted as MSDOS in Disk Utility, i do this in a terminal as root:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

quit

reboot

Boot from winblows dvd/cd and install and setup.

To make the darwin boot loader work, you will need to make the Mac partition active. I use DISKPART in a DOS window to do this:

DISKPART

select disk 0

select part 1

active

exit

reboot and Darwin boot loader will run. You still won be able to boot windows because the mbr is messed up. Set the Windows partition actives again and fix the mbr:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

This time boot from Winblows install DVD/CD and use the repair. It should recognize the os repair and reboot. Winblows should boot fine. Again, make the Mac partition active using DISKPART in DOS:

DISKPART

select disk 0

select part 1

active

exit

Should boot Darwin boot loader now and you should be able to successfully choose Mac or Winblows.