OSX freeze after change the MAC address

jourdan

7 posts in this topic

Hi, all.

I have kalyway 10.5.2 on my dell latitude d610. The problem is, the MAC appears to be 00:00:00:00:00:00. The OSx recognized my ethernet adapter, BCM5751(14e4,1677). I can set the IP manually and browse other computer in the network but unable browse to the internet as the MAC address is zeros. I tried the following matter to update my network driver and HEX edited the kext file..everything went fine "BUT" after reboot to OSx again. OSx became "freezes" after executed following command.

sudo -s 

ifconfig en0 ether 00:14:22:B6:44:7E

I followed the following instructions but leopard "freeze" after changing the MAC address. Why it "hang" or "freeze"?

1. unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip 

2. move AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ 

3. open Terminal 

4. sudo -s 

5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ 

6. cd /System/Library/Extensions/ 

7. chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext 

8. reboot 

9. You will have MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. Boot with ubuntu live cd, get MAC address of your NIC using ifconfig utility at terminal. Write it down. 

10. Reboot to OS X, open terminal and set your MAC address manually: 

sudo -s 

Network should now be working!

Can I add ifconfig en0 ether 00:14:22:B6:44:7E in /etc/rc.common after NETWORKUP="-YES-" ? How to edit? I managed to view the rc.common but don't know how to add and save the line. or can I create another script file to auto change the MAC address during startup process? How to do?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, all.

I have kalyway 10.5.2 on my dell latitude d610. The problem is, the MAC appears to be 00:00:00:00:00:00. The OSx recognized my ethernet adapter, BCM5751(14e4,1677). I can set the IP manually and browse other computer in the network but unable browse to the internet as the MAC address is zeros. I tried the following matter to update my network driver and HEX edited the kext file..everything went fine "BUT" after reboot to OSx again. OSx became "freezes" after executed following command.

sudo -s 

I followed the following instructions but leopard "freeze" after changing the MAC address. Why it "hang" or "freeze"?

1. unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip 

2. move AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ 

3. open Terminal 

4. sudo -s 

5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ 

6. cd /System/Library/Extensions/ 

7. chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext 

8. reboot 

9. You will have MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. Boot with ubuntu live cd, get MAC address of your NIC using ifconfig utility at terminal. Write it down. 

10. Reboot to OS X, open terminal and set your MAC address manually: 

sudo -s 

Network should now be working!

Can I add ifconfig en0 ether 00:14:22:B6:44:7E in /etc/rc.common after NETWORKUP="-YES-" ? How to edit? I managed to view the rc.common but don't know how to add and save the line. or can I create another script file to auto change the MAC address during startup process? How to do?

Thanks a lot!

Doubt if you want to set the MAC while the interface is up so try something like this.

ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 up

If it works right then create the file /etc/rc.local by using something like nano /etc/rc.local as root then add the lines to it use CTRL + O keys to write out the file by hitting ENTER when asked to do so then CTRL + X to exit then.

chown 0:0 /etc/rc.local
chmod 755 /etc/rc.local

The chmod command could even possibly be chmod 655 /etc/rc.local as I see the /etc/rc.common is set -rw-r--r-- . Now you would reboot and hopefully the file is read and everything is set correctly when the commands are executed.

Any action with Ethernet to result in system frozen.

execute command " ifconfig en0 down " - I have frozen system.

this is sad. I continue to go

Yeah not good at all the only other idea I have is trying another nic that is supported. I have read that most cards based on the tulip chipset are supported out of the box as they say so it could be worth trying.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I was having a similar issue. I have a few Optiplex GX280s, changing the MAC address manually worked on one but not the other. I realized the only difference was the BIOS revision. One was up to date and worked, it didn't freeze after changing the mac address. The other had an older BIOS firmware and would freeze every time. 

Update your bios, also check out an app called MacDaddyX. It's a gui for changing the MAC address. Any random MAC address works for me. But it doesn't survive a reboot. I have to set it every time.