[Guide] MSI K9NGM4 (Nvidia MCP68) AMD 10.5.2 Install + 10.5.4 Update + 9.4 Kernel Update

5 posts in this topic

This is the dreadfull work of almost a Month of trial end error but i finaly made it.

The board is a MSI K9NGM4 with a Nvidia MCP68 Single Chipset.

Here are the specs:

Socket AM2

CPU (Max Support) Athlon 64 X2

FSB 1GHz

Chipset NVIDIA® MCP68S

DDR2 Memory DDR2 533/667/800

DDR3 Memory N/A

DIMM Slots 2

Max Memory (GB) 4

PCI-Ex16 1

PCI-Ex8 N/A

PCI-Ex4 N/A

PCI-Ex1 1

PCI 2

IDE 1

SATA 4

RAID 0/1/0+1/5/JBOD

LAN 10/100/1000*1

TPM 1 (Optional)

USB ports (Rear) 4

Audio ports (Rear) 6

Serial ports (Rear) 1

Parallel ports (Rear) 1

1394 ports (Rear) 1 (Optional)

eSATA N/A

VGA 1

Form Factor M-ATX

I tryed ALL distros of Leopard on the web and the only one that could even start to dvd booting was kalyway 10.5.2 since all others wouldnt even recognize the hardware for the dvd getting a "still waiting for root device" error when booting from dvd.

STEP 1 - Installing

After this the only way to get Leo installed was by installing it in a IDE drive ( the dvd as to be IDE also)

Install went fine with the following options:

Kernels

kernel_9.2_sleep

Graphics_Drivers

Dont choose any for the instalation...will be dealing with graphics after install

Audio_Drivers

Intel NVIDIA VIA ATI HDAudioController

NVIDIAAC97Audio

Networks_Drivers

forcedeth

De-select all the other drivers even the wi-fi ones

Mobo_Chipsets

AppleGenericPCATA

Select only this one. Sata suport will be added after instalation

Thirds_Applications

Select the ones you want.... :P

Patches

Lastnetkassmbios (with coreplayer fix , mozzy and logmein !)

Others PATCHES

USBPCGen

AMD_1052_Patch_test_2

Now after these choices made just install.

After the installation is completed when you reboot just boot with the "-v" flag. No need to put "-legacy" or "cpu=1".... this setting worked and has been working so far with my current cpu.

After rebooting you will NOT have Networking and will not see any Sata drives.

STEP 2 - Networking

As for the network this was the thing that gave me the most work to get up and running.

Download the bottom kext named nForceEthernetDriver.kext

After that edit .Plist file of the kext using TextMate with your device id... in this case is the 0x054C10de wich is the MCP68 nForce networking controller in windows.

Shutdown the system and unplug the power cord for 1 minute! You must do this to get networking to work. This will reset your adapter and will not give you a false IP address.

After 1 minute replug your power cord and boot normally with "-v" .

You will see some error messages about your device id on Nforce but its all ok.

Go to System Preferences and check that everything its working ok and you have the right IP Address.

Open Safari and start to surf the web.... :P

Picture2.png

STEP 3 - Updating from 10.5.2 straight to 10.5.4 :D

Now this was the fun part of the month!!!!!!!! :P

Just download Zephiroth´s latest release of Software updater and run it.

Put in your password

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Now you will have all the downloads from Apple ( I already did mine so you wont see 10.5.4 update in this picture)

Picture5.png

Select just the update 10.5.4 and on the end "Modify only" ( If you install you may get lucky and dont have a kernel panic...your choice!)

After the updater has done is job go to were the modifyed update is and install it.

IMPORTANT: Check if ALL the patches where aplyed. In the end of software updater´s work in the logs you must have this:

Statistics:
62 of 62 visited files were successfully patched.
155 of 155 found patches were successfully applied.
00:52:16 Recreating MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.4.pkg ...
00:57:35 MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.4.pkg recreated.

If you dont have this dont install the update. Delete it and re-do all the process again until you have or you will have one big messed up install!!!

Reboot with "-v".

It will reboot and somewhere in the middle it will sync your disks and reboot again all by imself...dont worry let it reboot and insert again "-v".

Now you will see a diferent boot in verbose mode as it will force all the kext´s and finaly will boot and there you have it,

10.5.2 updated directly to 10.5.4!!!!!

STEP 4 - Updating from 9.2 Kernel straight to 9.4 Kernel

This Step is very easy.... :P

Just download The kernel zip file on the end of the post and PCWiz´s kernel installer (Google is your friend...)

Run the installer and backup the old kernel....

Picture6.png

Then choose the file Mach__kernel that is in the zip file....

Picture7.png

And after that choose the disk (Very important that you choose the disk on the left not a folder or file but the disk)

Picture8.png

And reboot after the installation!!!

You will get something like this.....

Picture9.png

STEP 5 - Video Driver QE/CI

Well... about this i can only write for what i have.

I have a Asus 8400 GS with 256MB Memory.

I just downloaded Zephyroth´s Nvidia Universal installer that is located here : Nvidia Universal Installer

I would advice you only to install this after the updates on kernel and system are done because the update to 10-5-4 will write new geforce kext´s and so if you do it before the update you wont have QE/CI enabled. Also after the installation is complete and before the reboot Do a proper and decent permissions repair since nvinject doesnt get installed very well ( dont ask me why...im not a coder).

I resolved the situation by removing the kext after it installed and made a new installation of the kext with KextHelper.

After the instalation and rebooting i got this...

Picture10.png

STEP 6 - The dreadfull SATA drivers

Well... it is installed but at the same time it isnt! :wacko:

Im still fighting with the drivers here and on this i would really like to see Jas or Eddie11c come in here and try to solve this...

I have a MCP68 Single Chipset By nvidia and the device id´s are 0x055010de and 0x056010de.

These two are responsible for the sata and pata work.

The problem is i have two drivers:

1- AppleNforceATA compiled for MCP67 that works in the sense that you can repair your permissions and do whatever you want on the disk but...and here come the BUT word.... your dvd drive if it is sata or ide wont read a single dvd and will jam your system if you get one there.

Also it will make ALL, and i really mean ALL your PATA drives apear in system profiler like if they are SATA ones.

2- AppleNforceATA compiled for ...i really dont know...(found it on the web by accident) will make all the hard drives and dvd drives apear correctly BUT .... Again the BUT word.... if you need to repair a disk or repair permissions on a SATA drive or even partition your SATA drive it will mess up DiskUtility wherever its in Terminal Mode or GUI mode.

So... right now im using the first option because my IDE drive died yesterday and i had this instalation on a backup SATA drive using the second otion. Confused? :wacko: Me too...it was a one hell of a month trying to get this right.... :D

Anyway i leaving both AppleNforceAta kext´s here so that you choose the one that its better for you....

This is what i have now...

Picture11.png

Final Lines

What can i say....?

Read the hole thread carefully and if you need help PM me .

This install works for me but im not responsible if it doesnt work for you.

This install work without the need of "-legacy" or "CPU=1" flags... i dont know if yours will work that way too.

And finally remember: OSX on a PC its a process of lots of patience and LOOOTSSSS of trial and error and research.

And Now here are the kext´s and kernel files. Enjoy.... :rolleyes:

I cant seem to upload the kernel files but you can get them here : http://www.mediafire.com/?voiwzyo0yn3

NforceATA___MCP67.zip

NforceATA___Regular___.zip

NforceEthernetDriver.zip

Sincerely yours,

Hugo Guerreiro

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...