A version that works...

6 posts in this topic

I have been trying, off and on, for about 6 months to get Leopard installed on my computer but to no avail. Every version that I try ends up failing at some point. While I don't want to give up, I must admit, I am nearing my wits end. Below are my specs. It would be great if someone could help me figure out which version I should go with.

Field Value

Computer

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Computer Name DADDY

User Name David

Motherboard

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE

System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award Modular (07/31/03)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS (256 MB)

Monitor Sony SDM-HS74P [17" LCD] (6030711)

Multimedia

Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage

IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive WDC WD740GD-00NLR1 (74 GB, 10000 RPM, SATA)

Disk Drive Maxtor OneTouch USB Device (465 GB, USB)

Optical Drive IDE DVD-ROM 16X (16x DVD-ROM)

Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions

C: (NTFS) 70896 MB (36990 MB free)

D: (NTFS) 476937 MB (284517 MB free)

Total Size 535.0 GB (314.0 GB free)

Input

Keyboard HID Keyboard Device

Keyboard HID Keyboard Device

Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network

Network Adapter 3Com 3C905TX-based Ethernet Adapter (Generic) (192.168.0.100)

Modem HSP56 Micromodem

Peripherals

Printer Quicken PDF Printer

Printer Send To OneNote 2007

USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]

USB2 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-2/A-3]

USB Device Dynex 1.3MP Webcam

USB Device Generic USB Hub

USB Device USB Audio Device

USB Device USB Composite Device

USB Device USB Composite Device

USB Device USB Human Interface Device

USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

David

Well, it depends on the version... the Leo4All just restarts after I choose to install. It doesn't make it but about 10 secs into it and then just restarts. The iATKOS v1.0i R2 made it all the way through the install and says that it needs to restart. When I restart, it just says that I need to restart again and again. Can't make it past that. There have been a few more that I have tried but it's the usual mix of just plain ol not working, in some form or fashion. Right now, I'm about to try the Kalyway_10.5.2 to see what happens with it. I've tried it before but not this version so I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks,

David

Maby you should try to install to an IDE drive (I see you have an IDE DVD drive) could be you´re getting somekind of conflict between Sata and Pata. I get this kind of conflicts from time to time when I install stuff, I have an IDE DVD and a IDE harddrive for my Kaly Leo and Sata harddrives for my Retail Leo.

Skip dual the dual boot thing till you get OSX working and don´t have all your extra gear connected when installing. Sometimes videoissues can be the cause why it does´nt work so if you have something like Graphics Apperure in you bios try to reduce that to the lowest.

Kalys Leo works good that´s my backup when my Retail 10.5.4 Leo install panics. This has only happend twice the last few months and moastly like I say above here when I´m installing stuff, then I allways can rely on my Kaly I can install from it instead.

Remember to check out what CPU version you have if it´s the SSe2 or the SSe3 so you go for the right one when you download the Leo package and also when you install.

I´ve had Retail Leo 10.5.4 up running on an Asus P4 P800 SE Mobo P4 3 Ghz SSe3 Cpu so it´s possible on the older gear to. Good luck

Well actually, when I try to install it, I disconnect my SATA and plug in my IDE. I'm trying to install it as if it were my only drive so there's no conflicts. I have looked at most of the compatability charts and really can't seem to find any that match my specs. I don't really understand all the lingo around here yet so that doesn't help either. I know that my processor supports SSe2 but don't really know what to do now that I know that.

Since my first post I have tried Kalyway_10.5.2 and all I get is a very quick restart immediately after choosing to install. I know have three different versions of Leopard sitting on my desk, none of which I can get to work. Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance,

David