Mac mouse confusing: Appears to have 1 button but supports right click?

5 posts in this topic

I've seen Mac mice in computer stores, and they support both left & right click, but they appear to only have one button. This confused me at first, and I've heard others who have been confused too, thinking it only has one button. Apple has always emphasized an intuitive user interface and making things simple for the user. If that's true, why would they make something as confusing as a mouse that appears to have one button but actually has 2 (supporting left & right click)?

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

it shows clearely that it has a left and right sensor under the shell!!

Groot Koos

I've seen Mac mice in computer stores, and they support both left & right click, but they appear to only have one button. This confused me at first, and I've heard others who have been confused too, thinking it only has one button. Apple has always emphasized an intuitive user interface and making things simple for the user. If that's true, why would they make something as confusing as a mouse that appears to have one button but actually has 2 (supporting left & right click)?

the new mighty mouse might have the ability, and the wireless does (obvisouly because the picture shows it) but the older mouse that doesn't have the scroll wheel does not have a right click ability, it is only one button to my knowledge, mine has never had right click ability, the operating system does have a right click ability and to use this right click with a mighty mouse, you press control + click, i assume for the reason of no 2 button mouse would be because of ease of error, user cant right click and accidently tell it to delete, or create new file, or folder, or move, or get info, etc etc, with having to press control + click there less likly to screw something up i guess.

Hello.

The Mighty Mouse does have a right-click, but it's kind of touchy. Also, when I installed Leopard, the default setting appears to be "1 button mouse", so the right-click was turned off.

So one must go to "System Preferences" and set the mouse to 2-button mode, and then learn how to push on the right side of the mouse just right.

Otherwise, the mouse works great. I especially like the scroll wheel/ button.

Keri

Actually it is more than just a 2 button mode.

You can Left click, Middle click, Right click, and Side squeeze.

So its a 4 button mouse with vertical and horizontal scrolling.

It uses a sensor to determine where your finger is touching the top of the mouse.

If there is more than one touching it assumes a Left click.