What does the Darwin boot option "update" actually DO?

4 posts in this topic

Lately I've been having some interesting trouble with my Kalyway installation - everything works perfectly, but ONLY if I boot with the "update" option. At first, it was just my custom kexts, but since I updated to 10.5.4 (I know, I know...), I can't even BOOT without the update option. Every time I restart, I have to hit F8 and type "update" (or update -v if I want to be entertained).

The killer is - I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS OPTION DOES. I can't find it listed anywhere in lists of the Darwin boot options. All the google hits I get are people recommending that other people boot with the "update -v" option. That's great, but WHAT DOES IT DO???

Anyone?

Bueller?

update - well, i realized that "update" loads the file /update . So the question is, what's the difference between the "update" kernel and the default? Maybe I should just overwrite the default kernel with the "update" file? As far as I'm aware they're both 9.2.0, so what's the difference? How can I make sure to get "update" versions of future kernel releases?

"Update" is actually the name of a kernel that's resting on the root of your leopard drive. For some reason, the kernel your system is defaulting to will not boot up. You haven't mentioned if you are on an AMD or Intel system.

I would first try repairing permissions on your drive. Its possible the kernel "mach_kernel" was not installed properly. If you're unsure how, launch "Disk utility" from spotlight, click on your Leopard partition and from the buttons select "repair disk permissions."

If your system cannot use a vanilla kernel, you will indeed be forced to use a modified one. You can change your com.Apple.boot.plist file to use the kernel "update" instead of the default "mach_kernel." I don't recommend replacing any kernels unless you first back them up.