Shared Network

Spear

3 posts in this topic

I'm having some weird problem with my shared network at home. I have several computers hooked onto my network and sometimes I see doubles of the same computer. For example my brother's computer is called Nick's computer, then I see his clone ethernet address as a guest connect by the name of mac00...(ethernet address). And instead of said clone being a Mac server, in the description it says PC server.

To tell you the truth it scared the living :D out of me, anyone have an ideas? I'll post a pic if needed if no one understands.

It has to do with Bonjour and Samba. If a machine is running both - and it's hard to get the former without the latter on a non-Mac - then you will see them show up 2x. It's more or less normal and there's not much you can do about it. I tried :D Is Nick's computer running Linux by any chance?

It has to do with Bonjour and Samba. If a machine is running both - and it's hard to get the former without the latter on a non-Mac - then you will see them show up 2x. It's more or less normal and there's not much you can do about it. I tried ;) Is Nick's computer running Linux by any chance?

Nope, it's pretty much two identical Imacs running side by side, except i have 500GB of hard drive space :D. And then another 500 from an external one lol :P, hmm renaming the imacs cancel the vision of my brother's clone pc server thing. But renaming mine had no dice, my dad can still see my computer with a cloned version. ARG