I need.... lots of help!

id33k

4 posts in this topic

Okay, First off I'm very very interested in running OSX86. But No matter what I've tried, patches after patches. NOTHING has worked for me.

Here's my PC specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.51 GHz.

3 GB of R.A.M.

My Motherboard is and Asus M2N-E Motherbaord. Yes, it's part Nvidia.

I have THREE hardrives.

1: 250 GB Westren Digital SATA Hard-Drive

2: 160 GB Seagate SATA Hard-Drive

3: 160 GB Western Digital EIDE Hard-Drive.

I have a 1 SATA DVD Drive writer.

Ok So I've used the ForceOSXNForce thing. It booted up. But I couldn't format my Hard-Drives. My EIDE drive wouldn't even show up.

So Today, I "got" Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2/SSE3 (32bits).

I don't know if it will work. I've read that you have to have a EIDE DVD Drive and Hard-Drive. And you have to set the EIDE Hard-Drive for Master and the DVD drive as Slave. Is this true?

I was also wondering, Because I "got" 10.5.1. How would I upgrade that?

AND THE LAST QUESTION.

HOW Can I install OSX86 *without* deleting my XP (Ya, I do still love Windows :) ) install on my 250gb SATA Drive.

Sorry for all the :wallbash: questions. I just REALLY REALLY Want to run OSX on my PC.

Alright i'll take a stab at it. Which type of processor do you have? sse2 or sse3? So you want to dual boot your computer is what your saying. Do this and then tell me if you get to the install or not:

Burn the iso leopard file you have to a disc then restart your computer and boot off your dvd and tell me if you get to the install page. if you do or dont you can just restart your computer and then pop the disk out and it wont affect anything and will boot back into xp. Im just seeing if that disc will work for you.

I checked using CPUz. It says were Instructions:

MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

So doesn't that mean my PC support's all of it?

I can't boot it yet. I'm still downloading it.

But My other Leopard DVD, with the Nforce fix, goes to the install page.

I've downloaded the ISO before. It normally gives me the Waiting for Root problem. But that was before I got a EIDE hard drive.

Ok, one big issue is do you want to dual boot from the same hard drive. If yes, seting up without messing up windows is pretty simple. You will need to find a free partition editor online (just google it most will do the job). If you have two partitions already, then just delete one (the one WITHOUT WINDOWS) to make it unallocated space. From there follow from step 4 from this guide (http://maconpc.distinctlyjordan.com/2008/03/20/how-todual-boot-xp-and-leopard/), which can be found under 10.5.1 in the guides section of the OSX86 Project Wiki. If you only have one partition (a single drive C:) you will have to use the partition editor to decrease the size of the windows partition (again to make unallocated space). From here go to the same step 4 off the guide. Follow the rest and it should give you a good dual boot install of XP and OSX.

If you want to dual boot from two different hard drives, that will be a more complicated setup, as you cannot use the darwin bootloader included on the disk or the Chain0 method.

Sorry I can't help with your first problem.

I've downloaded the ISO before. It normally gives me the Waiting for Root problem. But that was before I got a EIDE hard drive.

"Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2/SSE3 (32bits)" is the original Zephyroth 10.5.1 release. He actually built it for HIS hardware set - but we found it worked - or could be made to work - on other AMD hardware as well...

10.5.1 DOESN'T react well to SATA drives. Ya... That means your SATA optical drive you'll be using to install it probably won't work well with Zephyroth 10.5.1. At least you have an IDE HD to install it to, but that won't mean much if the DVD drive (with your installation DVD in it) isn't supported... Find an IDE DVD? Supposedly, he fixed that with his 10.5.2 v1 and 10.5.2 v2 releases, but I've never had much luck with SATA - with any of those releases.

As far as updating is concerned: Zephyroth's ASU (AMD Software Update) will let you install available Apple updates to any working AMD 10.5.x installation. Works like the Apple Updater only it patches the updates for AMD CPU's before it installs them. Once you get OSx86 running, find ASU at infinitemac.com. That may be a better place for "OSx86 for AMD" questions/help...

Oh, my advice on "Dual Booting" - don't! At least not in the classical sense. Install OSx86 to a seperate drive (at least at first) and use the startup "Boot Options" to choose the boot drive. Once you have OSx86 actually working the way you want, do your research and find the best way to set up Dual Boot with whatever other software you're running.