nForce Kernel for 10.5.3+

9 posts in this topic

Hey,

I have a successful install of 10.5.2 using iAtkos v2i, I would like to upgrade it to 10.5.3, or even better, 10.5.4. I can install the updates fine following various guides, but because I am installing a vanilla 9.3 kernel it causes panic on boot, resulting in an instant crash. I have tried installing iAtkos with a vanilla 9.2.2 kernel, and it too causes an instacrash, sugesting that it has to do with the kernel not being the nforce patched kernel.

I was wondering if there was a patched kernel for 9.3 made to work with nForce chipsets, and if not, how would you sugest getting an update to 10.5.3/10.5.4. Could I use kalyway combo updater, and then not install the kernel in the second part? Am I screwed when it comes to updating to 10.5.4 until someone releases an installer without a new kernel bundled in it, or does 10.5.4 not even use a new kernel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Updated sig, can anyone confirm or deny m82a1's advice?

AFIK, from having an nForce chipset MOBO myself (nforce 650i), you cannot install a vanilla kernel.....also I am not aware yet of a 9.3.0 kernel modded for nforce.....but checkout http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102 for the Mysticus C* 1.4b 10.5.3 Combo updater which is what I have successfully used to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3...... ;)

AFIK, from having an nForce chipset MOBO myself (nforce 650i), you cannot install a vanilla kernel.....also I am not aware yet of a 9.3.0 kernel modded for nforce.....but checkout http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102 for the Mysticus C* 1.4b 10.5.3 Combo updater which is what I have successfully used to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3...... :D

Hey, I had tried that before and it errored out during the install (seemed to be in an infinite loop and never progressed), but I will try it again. Did you use a specific kernel or just the one it uses by default?

Thanks again for the help!

Edit: I tried it again, and it worked! I am now on 10.5.3, which brings me to the question: Can I use software update to get me to 10.5.4, or will it screw with my kernel?

Thanks a ton for all the help guys!

Do you think it would work if I forcequit the installer and pasted the current (9.2) kernel over the one it uses?

What would you hope to gain by trying to do this right now.......why not wait for a proper 10.5.4 Combo Updater......from Mysticus C* :)

Anyhow if you try, the system and kernel need to be version-matched in order for USB mounting/unmounting to work properly...... :D