Nvidia GeForce 8800 512MB card on Dell XPS 420

Oreyeon

7 posts in this topic

Ok, I've got a Dell XPS 420 and I have Leopard 10.5.2 running on it almost flawlessly. I have one problem, and it's a real annoyance. I can't play games and I can't change the screen resolution in the normal way. If I go to change the screen resolution, the screen turns blue and everything disappears. Nothing brings it back, and I have to force power off the computer. When I boot back into OSX, the screen is the resolution I picked. But no matter what I do, I can't play games. I've downloaded a few, and when I start them, the screen just goes black. You can hear the sounds and everything, but the graphics are just not there. And again, power-off, and back on to get back into OSX.

I have the GeForce 8800 512mb card. Can anyone help me out and let me know what I need to do to resolve this final roadblock.

I love mac osx. It's much faster than Windows.

Thank you. <_<

Anyone? There's gotta be something I can do. Other people have this card in their Hackintoshes and it's working fine? I thought maybe updating to 10.5.3 would help, and it didn't. I updated my test OSX drive, and when I tried changing the resolution, I got a blue screen, and it never went away, not even on reboot. So I have to re-image the test drive. But on my main drive, I'll get the blue screen, but if I reboot, it comes back. And with games, I just get sound and a black screen. This is the only thing left to fix on my setup. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

I figured one thing out. As dumb as this sounds, I switched my DVI cable to the first DVI port on the graphics card and now I can change resolutions without getting hung up.

The game I'm trying to play is Fallout 2. The game starts now, with graphics and sound, but here's the problem. The splash screen looks awesome. But then the pre-game movies start and then the menu comes up and they are in 4 colors; red, yellow, green; and light green. I'm going to try a different game if I can find one to try. Also, I held down ALT while loading the game and that did nothing at all for me. Not sure what I did wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ... Oreyeon ..

I'm also on Dell xps 420 with 8800gtx and i'm planning to install the Kalyway Leopard.

Which osx u install on ur dell? Is this duel boot? If it's duel boot can you point me out some instruction on how to do it with vista. Cause i'm really a newbie in this. :P

Thanks in advance ...