Dell Inspiron 530 Help

randy11

40 posts in this topic

EDIT: Since my success I have turned this into a help forum for others. It includes full install instructions, audio, networking, and troubleshooting help. Hope it is of some benefit to you.

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4 Quad Core Processor

Ram: 2 gigs of PC6400 ram

On Board video only (plan on getting an Nvidia 8800 GT)

I downloaded Kalway 10.5.2 osx86 and installed it to my external 250 gig usb (ide) hard drive. All went well. I formated the hard drive and made 2 partitions one Mac Journaled and one MS-DOS to play nice with vista.I installed fine and I then rebooted, (I was left with a white square in the upper left corner and it would not actually shut down, I cycled power) I boot to the external and I chose -v -f as startup options. I was able to run throught the first time start up and all was running well except networking. I grabed a netgear FA311 PCI ethernet card and hooked it up. I then booted. Mac didn't automatically detect the hardware like I expected. I Figured it needed to be reinstalled to get the driver from the install disc. So I did the exact same installation process but now I always end up stuck in a loop where it asks me if I have another mac then it hangs up for a while and I am back to the keyboard. I have tried the -s option for single user but don't really know what to do from there. Sorry I am quite the noob. :)

Ok I managed to solve the problem myself and I am onto the next one.

SOLUTION:

When OS X is booting type -s and you will be taken to a terminal and it will give you two commands. Run these to modify the installation

/bin/fsck -fy

/bin/mount -uw /

Then type:

passwd root

it will prompt you to enter a new password. Do so, if stars dots or letters don't appear it is fine, anyone who uses linux will be familiar

Now to deactivate the loop type

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Now I need to figure out how to get my ethernet card working, it is a Netgear FA311 and according to the hardware Compatibility list it works "out of the box." Well its in the computer now but don't i need a driver, how would I go about installing the hardware? I know I am close, thanks in advance.

OK so i was able to figure this one out too and perhaps a problem i didn't foresee. First you don't need drivers per say you need kexts

1.)When you install the OS make sure you go to customization on the last screen and you install kext helper under 3rd party apps, it will make your life alot easier.

2.)To open it click finder, the smiley face in the dock, then apps, then KOOLSOFT. Then you will need two different kexts, one for your onboard ALC888 audio and one for your ethernet card, in my case the IONetworkingFamily ktext. i have included a link to both of these at the bottom of my post.

3.)Download them, load them onto a flash drive and drag them to the kext helper and then in the box where it says password be sure you carefully type your admin password.

4.)Hit easy install and then restart the computer. So far so good. Now i actually repeated this process 3 times exactly the same before it worked so if you don't succeed try again.

5.)Now when it restarts click on System Preference, the gears in the dock, and go to network, a new device should appear which can then be configured according to your network.

6.)Im not sure the audio kext worked as currently i don't have speakers but it should to some extent from what i understand. Overall I reinstalled OS X about 8 times before I figured this out completely.

If you have a Dell Inspiron 530 feel free to PM. All and all i think this is a great PC to hackintosh. I will update this when I install my new video card and more ram. Till then stick with it and good luck.

Here is the link to where the files are:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36886

You need:

-ALC888Audio.mpkg.zip

and

-IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip (if you have a Netgear FA311 wired ethernet adapter)

-be careful on this one, clicking it opens a new forum window and there are two, one at the top and one right in front of you, use the one at the top with the proper name, the other one starts out with IOPCI and it fooled me at first. I hope this helps someone out. Good luck once again

I also have a Dell Inspiron 530, with the ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro. I installed with kalyway 10.5.2 also, and the system came up without sound and hi resolution graphics initially. I have the Netgear GA311, which works out of the box. By following the instructions on the 10.5.2 here I was able to get sound to work.

The next time you reboot, run the Console application (in /Applications/Utilities) and take a look at the System log to see if there are any messages in your log file at the time MacOSX dies on you.

No actually they were recognized without any modification what so ever. How many hard drives are installed internally. My current hard drive setup is simply the factory SATA hard drive with OS partition and the Recovery partition internally and then my OS X install and a shared partition on an ATA usb hard drive.

My only suggestion would be to try to remove any additional internal hard drives down to just one and see if all is well. Sorry I don't have more help to offer.

I am going to follow the post i was directed to by melon man and try to get the sound working. as for low res graphics, i didn't want to pay dell $150 for a $40 video card so my planned GT8600 should be purchased soon. Again will update if i get audio working with a stepwise guide similar to the networking kext instructions.

No actually they were recognized without any modification what so ever. How many hard drives are installed internally. My current hard drive setup is simply the factory SATA hard drive with OS partition and the Recovery partition internally and then my OS X install and a shared partition on an ATA usb hard drive.

My only suggestion would be to try to remove any additional internal hard drives down to just one and see if all is well. Sorry I don't have more help to offer.

I do have two internal drives. Why do you think that would make a difference?

Well I don't know why it would make a difference but my problem solving skills told me to remove some variables from the equation. If you disconnect one of the internal drives and everything works, you can assume that it is a compatibility issue with that drive. Also I have read that if you are installing to a sata drive there are special things you need to do so i figured there is an issue with mac understanding sata. I am guessing that your internals are sata. Im not guaranteeing anything but its worth a shot to try it. Its quick and easy to disconnect and it may take you in the right direction. It seems like the next logical move. :)

Alrighty more good news to report today. I've got audio working with one catch, the front port is not working.

Here is how I did it.

1.)First download both

The AppleHDAPatcher V1.20 (Link below)

and

ALC888_ich7_codecdump (attached to post)

2.)put both of these on a flash drive and put the drive in your mac

3.)Now unzip the AppleHDAPatcher and simply drag the ALC888 codec dump onto it. Then enter your password and hit ok.

4.)After a quick restart the audio functions work on the rear port.

If anyone knows how to get that front panel port working that would be great. I will update if I get it working. Again good luck. :thumbsup_anim:

AppleHDAPatcher can be found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...showtopic=32859

-scroll a good way down....look for the one with more than 36,000 downloads

The ALC888 Codec is attached below

alc888_ich7_codecdump.txt

• 2 weeks later...

FYI ..

Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core Desktop PC $309

Offer #15289 (07/21)

Dell has the Inspiron 530 desktop PC for only $309. Features Intel Pentium dual core processor, Windows Vista, 1GB memory, 250GB hard drive, 16x DVD burner.

Here's how to get this price:

After the jump, click on Shop Inspiron 530.

Choose the $499 system and click Build Yours

Choose the 3rd link for "As selected"

Go through the components and Remove the 19" monitor (choose no monitor)

Price will become $309!

Share this offer with a friend: http://www.antirebate.com/index.php?offer=15289 Lacoste

Randy,

I have a Dell Inspiron as well! I have been trying to get my ethernet to work. I have tried both the on board ethernet and the D-link DFE-530TX+ PCI card. I have downloaded the drivers from dlink and install them off of a flash drive, but it has never worked! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Randy,

I have a Dell Inspiron as well! I have been trying to get my ethernet to work. I have tried both the on board ethernet and the D-link DFE-530TX+ PCI card. I have downloaded the drivers from dlink and install them off of a flash drive, but it has never worked! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

whosjk,

you might take a look at my little mini tutorial on audio up above. :rolleyes:

Domreis,

You are going to need to make sure you have a compatible card (which it looks like you don't) by checking here. Onboard is not currently working.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...2#Network_Cards

I would recommend the one i have the FA311 Netgear. Its super cheap and works like a charm. Just follow my directions as listed above. If this isn't an option or you have another from that list that is listed as working follow the same steps i did just substituting the appropriate kext. Its super easy.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Edited due to "advertising" is against the terms, but this particular machine is under $600 at a major national discount warehouse until the end of August, and it's low cost availability may make this a very popular machine for first timers if this becomes an easy machine to mod.

Thanks everyone for trying to show everyone some deals but please don't post those in this thread. This is intended to be a help thread to those trying to run osx86 on their 530s. Advertising is a violation of the rules and will get you banned. Please read the rules before you post!

Randy,

I started a thread like this a long time and have had my 530 up and running for about 7-8 months now. Number one lesson learned is never to upgrade. I have tired 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 and I had nothing but problems, mainly with graphics and sound. I am running Nvidia 8600 GT XXX. I also have the front port for sound working for a while now. I used a txt file from FTP server that I found on this forum (I have attached it).

One thing still not working on my system is sleep and shutdown. But I did figure a trick out, if you VNC into your mac from another machine and try shutting it down and then it will actually shutdown and also kill the power. Please let all of us know if someone figures shutdown and sleep out..

alc888.txt

Randy,

I started a thread like this a long time and have had my 530 up and running for about 7-8 months now. Number one lesson learned is never to upgrade. I have tired 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 and I had nothing but problems, mainly with graphics and sound. I am running Nvidia 8600 GT XXX. I also have the front port for sound working for a while now. I used a txt file from FTP server that I found on this forum (I have attached it).

One thing still not working on my system is sleep and shutdown. But I did figure a trick out, if you VNC into your mac from another machine and try shutting it down and then it will actually shutdown and also kill the power. Please let all of us know if someone figures shutdown and sleep out..

Great to hear another success story. Mine sleeps and shuts down fine! I can't recall which kernal i used. (i installed about 10 times in the process of getting it running) If you could tell me a way to look it up I would gladly tell you which I am using. Ill definitely try that front audio port fix. Also thank you for the info about updating. I wasn't sure if I could or how to but if you have had so much trouble I'll just wait for a sure thing before I mess with it!

here is the output of uname -a

arwin Macintosh.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

It doesn't specify but I believe from the Kalway 10.5.2 disk it was sleep kernel. I'm not 100% but I don't know of any other way of checking. I scoured the forums quite well searching for an answer... I can say definitively its not the vanilla kernal.

Audio port fix is next on my to do list.

EDIT: [Ok I'm an idiot. Apparently I hadn't tested sleep yet, it doesn't work. I can shutdown properly but sleep causes an instant crash.... Sorry I didn't mean to mislead]

I just bought a 530 today

I can't get past the keyboard loop at boot up. It doesn't seem like there is any particular fix. Has anyone resolved this?

It does work. Just follow the directions on boot. I have a 530 working very well...knock on wood.

I just bought a 530 today

I can't get past the keyboard loop at boot up. It doesn't seem like there is any particular fix. Has anyone resolved this?

I have resolved this issue and detailed how you can also in post #2 of this thread. Please look at it. I have also PMed you the instructions. If you have any more issues (and i know you will with the audio: post #10) please ask

I got everything working except my ethernet card... As I have said before.

I bought the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter that was intended for the macBook Air. The hackintosh saw it automatically and set it up. Within minutes I had the internet on my hackintosh!