6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I learned about the possibility to install Mac OS X Leopard about two weeks ago. Upon further research, I became really interested in installing it on my new PC (will be assembled in about two months). I am a musician and not very wealthy, thus installing a patched install is the best solution for me :) I plan to dual-boot Win XP Pro and Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard.

The specs of my PC will be:

Motherboard: Asus P5K PRO, Intel P35, Socket 775, 1333FSB

RAM: Mushkin XP2-8500 2x2GB Kit, DDR2-1066, CL5

HDDs: Western Digital Caviar GP, 7200rpm (2x SATA)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0

GPU: EVGA e-GeForce 8800GT Superclocked

Do you think these specs will work? Will there any additional kext's etc. be necessary? I learned that certain chipsets/manufacturers are problematic.

I did some research and found out that Kalyway would probably be the best solution for me. I would reset the theme with Virginizer. Do you think I'm going to be ok with that?

Any help greatly apperciated. Thanks!

hmm as an expierenced OSx86 veteran i would say the only concern would be the mobo. let me look up LAN controller, Audio, etc...:D :D :D

Found a linky:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95578well ther u hav it, i dont know about audio or LAN, he doesnt say if it works...but ther is no kernel panics etclooks like u hav a great plan my friend! good luck!PS - If u need help dual booting, I hav a very simple solution. PM some time, Im in the recording business as well, i use over 10 apps Windows+Mac combined :)

Hm, wow, thanks for the quick reply :rolleyes:

Sounds good so far, I posted a question into that thread you offered, asking if video/ethernet etc. were all okay.

Apart from that, yeah it's a neat machine, gonna cost me about 1100$ (converted from Swiss Franks), and maybe you know that Switzerland is an expensive country, so this is really really cheap - especially when you work at the country's cheapest computer component retailer and have the benefit of co-worker's discount :)

Damn, I'd so love to have Mac OS X AND Windows XP Pro on my machine ... that'd open so many doors :P

Guys, I had a friend tell me that in order to prevent troubles with OSX on a PC, you should try to use hardware as close as possible to original Mac Hardware.

Do you think it'd be a good thing to switch to an ATI GPU or do Apple also use GeForces?

I would agree, get the 8800GT imo. if u get the 512MB, u can rewrite/replace the PC ROM version, and give it a EFI ROM. Theres a guide somewher around the drivers section...

An EFI ROM will give u better and safer upgrading capabilities with the Leopard 10.5.* that come out as time flies by. But if ur new to OSx86, dont do the EFI ROM rewrite, ITS A BAD IDEA. Period.

Get some more expierence, or get someone to do it for u :)