Freezing on boot in an unusual place

VWW

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys :)

Now when i try to run my x86 in either native or VMWare it freezes when booting up at the point where the MacOSX logo comes up with the progress bar... the mouse still moves, but nothing is happening. I have tried -x, -v, -f and nothing helps. Even under -v it tells me its starting LoginWindow and then the blue screen appears and it freezes so unfortunately i dont get to see the error :blink:

So to get to this stage i decided to do a fresh native install of x86 (so yes, i have previously had it working on my computer so the hardware is compatible) so i created the Darwin 8.0.1 install on a native partition, installed x86 in PearPC, ran VMWare and manually applied Maxxuss0.4 patches and repaired permissions and combined the Darwin and x86 installs. Then the problem occurs when i try to boot.

Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling 4 times and it always has the same problem.

Hi guys :)

Now when i try to run my x86 in either native or VMWare it freezes when booting up at the point where the MacOSX logo comes up with the progress bar... the mouse still moves, but nothing is happening. I have tried -x, -v, -f and nothing helps. Even under -v it tells me its starting LoginWindow and then the blue screen appears and it freezes so unfortunately i dont get to see the error :(

So to get to this stage i decided to do a fresh native install of x86 (so yes, i have previously had it working on my computer so the hardware is compatible) so i created the Darwin 8.0.1 install on a native partition, installed x86 in PearPC, ran VMWare and manually applied Maxxuss0.4 patches and repaired permissions and combined the Darwin and x86 installs. Then the problem occurs when i try to boot.

Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling 4 times and it always has the same problem.

My box does this on occasion. So I went ahead and reinstalled... I found if I do this in a bunch of steps it works (im typing this from osx now)

First I image the disk with the deadmoo image.

boot the box in -s (single user)

reset root password

reset curtis password

remove the AppleTPMACPI.kext extension (/System/Library/Extensions)

do a halt

boot up in safe mode (-x)

verify I can login

turn off the power managment (set the computer to always on)

ftp the sse2 patches (my cpu is sse2, so YYMV if you are sse3)

install the sse2 patches

halt

boot up normally (it will crash on mine with a green screen -ie video error)

turn on / off

boot up single user mode

remove all the ATI* device drivers (again in /System/Library/Extension)

halt

boot the system up with verbose (-v), and it should come up...

Something that I have noticed that since I am directly on the internet is that sometimes I get knocked off the inet with a panic when I boot up. I dont think the firewall is turned on 1st, before the network card is configured... what a pain. Another thing is that a NeXTStation can crash OSX if its trying to netboot, or exploring... I dont think that applies to 99.9999% of the people out there, but its a pain.

Anyways boot up with the -v and good luck!

Oh I hear id you reset the permissions (look around..... or google) it helps.

Thanks neozeed but unfortuntaely that doesnt really help. I wanted to create my own osx without using deadmoo's image. I did reset the permissions and also tried using -v... but with no help.

So any more ideas?