Unexpected succesful install from USB HDD

Pisiku

1 post in this topic

After months of trying most releases out there, just when i was about to stop trying i decided to try installing on a brand new usb hard drive. I used iAtkos v2.0 but i'm sure Leo4All v3 would work as well.

Previously, my desktop would refuse to install correctly video, lan and audio card.

This time i tried to install first on my laptop knowing that i can't harm my Win XP install and all my precious docs.

Setups:

Laptop:

HP Pavilion 6000

Intel Duo 1.66

2 GB RAm

Geforce 7400-256 Mb

LAN/WiFi- intel pro

Audio Realtek HD

Desktop:

Asus p5k

Intel q6600 quad

Ram 2 Gb

Geforce 8600 512 Mb

Attansic LAN

Realtek HD

The installation (done on the laptop) went smoooooth...no issues, no panics.

The Wifi is still not working and i don't expect it to be fixed soon but i've bought an ZyXEL usb WIFi thing that doesn't work so i'll have to change it

The sound works but only with the onboard spekers (no headphones, no mic) Chep usb sound card works perfectly thow.

Web cam-not working and i won't put much effort into it yet

Geforce indicates only 128 out of 256.

Lan working. Even the volume and mute (quick) buttons are working.

So far everything seems to work pretty fine just don't put it to sleep and don't allow screen to sleep.

The BIG surprize was when i simply took the HDD and i've connected it to the desktop...because it just booted and most previous problems where gone and the one that bugged me the most (Geforce) is running fully OOB without even initially installing the right driver for it. I fixed the Attansic with the existing patch (if you have the card i'm sure you have the patch), i use my Creative Value usb for sond even thow i know i could fix the Realtek and that's about it. Even the volume and mute buttons on the keyboard are working here as well.

My guess is that the instalations i attempted before didn't work coz, most probably, the HFS+ partition was made too "deep" on my C: drive so the sector must've been greater than it should've been but don't take my word for it coz i'm more or less an absolute noob...it's just a guessicon6.gif

I don't know if this post really helps much but at least is cool to know that you can install Leo on a USB HDD and shock your friend by booting OSX from their own computers (as long as they would ever be compatible)

For all those still in touble, good luck

Cheers