Back to the "other" OS

2 posts in this topic

First of all, if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to whereever. :)

So I'm attempting to go back to the "other" OS until I can save the money for a proper Mac. :)

Having a problem though that I can't find a fix for and have never seen/encountered before.

I formatted an extra SATA HD in the OSX format (journaled of course) and now I can't get it back to at least FAT32 to reformat (again if I have to) to NTFS.

I'm using Partition Magic attempting to format the secondary HD but when I reboot I get the "error 4 - BADMBR" error.

I've also tried using the OSX 10.5.1 disc and going into Disc Utility to reformat it. Instead of formatting, as I would expect it to work, it creates a partition on the drive in FAT32 while the whole drive is still showing as OSX journaled. This of course still isn't allowing me to format the drive to NTFS in the "other" OS.

Any help/tips/etc would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to whereever. :)

So I'm attempting to go back to the "other" OS until I can save the money for a proper Mac. :)

Having a problem though that I can't find a fix for and have never seen/encountered before.

I formatted an extra SATA HD in the OSX format (journaled of course) and now I can't get it back to at least FAT32 to reformat (again if I have to) to NTFS.

I'm using Partition Magic attempting to format the secondary HD but when I reboot I get the "error 4 - BADMBR" error.

I've also tried using the OSX 10.5.1 disc and going into Disc Utility to reformat it. Instead of formatting, as I would expect it to work, it creates a partition on the drive in FAT32 while the whole drive is still showing as OSX journaled. This of course still isn't allowing me to format the drive to NTFS in the "other" OS.

Any help/tips/etc would be greatly appreciated.

Download/burn/boot from a live CD/DVD like a Knoppix disc then try using one of the included tools like fdisk, cfdisk or going graphically qtparted.