Windows Embedded?

Nja

5 posts in this topic

Embedded EFI booting

Run Windows CE . NET to boot with EFI. EFI was released with source code enabling you to conduct a port to your own platform and target processor. The process for doing so is not discussed in this article, but the advantages for such an undertaking should be clear. You immediately inherit a solid foundation of C source for the creation of your Windows CE boot loader, along with an array of device drivers and tools, all of which are largely platform independent. This means that as successive generations of your platform evolve you can leverage your pre-boot software investment from previous generations while isolating any required changes to EFI device drivers. Later in this article we will explore writing an EFI Windows CE OS loader as one case in point of how to create a platform independent, pre-boot, reusable software component under EFI.

I dunno, but can this be attempted? or with XP embedded? Both CE.net and XP Embedded are FREE to try/experiment with.

Embedded Trial

Embedded EFI booting

Run Windows CE . NET to boot with EFI. EFI was released with source code enabling you to conduct a port to your own platform and target processor. The process for doing so is not discussed in this article, but the advantages for such an undertaking should be clear. You immediately inherit a solid foundation of C source for the creation of your Windows CE boot loader, along with an array of device drivers and tools, all of which are largely platform independent. This means that as successive generations of your platform evolve you can leverage your pre-boot software investment from previous generations while isolating any required changes to EFI device drivers. Later in this article we will explore writing an EFI Windows CE OS loader as one case in point of how to create a platform independent, pre-boot, reusable software component under EFI.

I dunno, but can this be attempted? or with XP embedded? Both CE.net and XP Embedded are FREE to try/experiment with.

Embedded Trial

Now this sounds like a brilliant new and promising idea. Good find!

Now there's an idea. The articles seem to mention EFI support with Windows CE, but not directly with Windows XP Embedded. It seems that the 64-bit version includes EFI support. It's worth looking into, but I remember trying to use XPE a couple of years ago for a small-footprint PC (carputer) and it was very tough (if not impossible) to get something configured and running properly. I recall the difficulty was (no surprise) in getting adequate embedded drivers to work with the hardware. This might have the same sort of issues.

I wouldn't be too sure that Windows XP Embedded runs all applications developed for Windows XP. Much of it is a different operating system. I haven't been able to find any info on application compatibility on Microsoft's website.

I have used XP embedded and it runs pretty much every application for XP. It is very neat and fast, and gives you full control of most of your system. But the thing is if you don't install every part of it, you need to know which system resources your applications requires. I am pretty sure that you can set it up to load on intel macs if you add correct ATI drivers and set it up to be a pure ACPI platform. But I don't think it has EFI support. So you need something to start the ntloader.

I know that Windows CE has EFI support, but does CE exist for IA-32?