Carbon Copy Cloner (upgrading disk) and boot

7 posts in this topic

I have a Kaliway 10.5.3 working great, and I want to copy it over a new, bigger, faster disk. I partitioned the new disk (GUID, like the old one) and used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the whole Leopard system disk on it... However, that won't boot...

I then tried to copy over the whole partition 1 (copying it with dd from the working disk to the new one) but that won't work either...

So how do I install the "f8" bootloader onto a new disk ; or copy it over the old one ?

You only have to use pc_efi_v8 to make it bootable! It's really as easy as that!

You can do it from your existing installation!

SticMAN

I have a Kaliway 10.5.3 working great, and I want to copy it over a new, bigger, faster disk. I partitioned the new disk (GUID, like the old one) and used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the whole Leopard system disk on it... However, that won't boot...

I then tried to copy over the whole partition 1 (copying it with dd from the working disk to the new one) but that won't work either...

So how do I install the "f8" bootloader onto a new disk ; or copy it over the old one ?

Well actualy I tried OSX86 Tools first, and neither EFIs seems to work. I get:

boot0: GPT
boot0: HFS+
boot0: booting
boot0: done
HFS+ partition error

When I set that disk to boot in the BIOS... I tried to do it manualy with pc_efi too and no luck either...

Well I had another go at using Chameleon, and it worked ! I don't know what failed before ...

All sorted now, booting from that snazy Samsung 1TB :-)

Made 2 system partitions and one for the /Users ; so I can reboot between two install and share the same home directory.

• 1 year later...
I tried this with an external HD and OSX86 Tools installing Chameleon and it works instantly.

Well I had another go at using Chameleon, and it worked ! I don't know what failed before ...

All sorted now, booting from that snazy Samsung 1TB :-)

Made 2 system partitions and one for the /Users ; so I can reboot between two install and share the same home directory.

I'd like to use a Partition on my External USB Hard Disk Drive (HDD) for OSX86 Installation. I am guessing this will work for installing and booting.