Installation on RAID?

Mr Mylan Man

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently discovered OSX86, and decided I wanted to try it out. I have used Linux for a long time as well as Windows and wanted to give something else a try.

My hardware list, first and foremost is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q9300

Motherboard: Intel DG35EC (micro ATX motherboard)

RAM: 4GB Geil Esoteria DDR2-800 RAM (not dual channel, I plan on buying second set shortly for that)

Video card: nVidia GeForce 8800GTS (G92 core)

Storage: This is where I think my problem lies... I have an Areca ARC-1200 RAID0 controller, with two Western Digital Caviar 320GB hard drives attached, for a 640GB RAID0 array.

I also have a 1TB external Western Digital hard drive attached via SATA to an eSATA converter.

Optical Drive: Samsung DVD-R/RW DL drive

I have tried the JaS 10.5.2 installation image as well as the iATKOS_2.0i version. Neither one of them would successfully boot the installation program. When I try to do use the iATKOS DVD (I use the -v flag), it gives the following error indefinitely (I waited until it showed up 6 times I believe) "Still waiting on root device". This happens right after it gives an error about Firewire security, and that it defaulted to full secure.

When I try the JaS version, I get the error "Unable to mount _______ (status code 0x00000047" two times. In ______ is a partition name. Because of this I believe it is the RAID that I have that is giving it problems. However, my 1TB drive should show up should it not?

Like I said I know about nothing about OSX so I could be wrong as to why it is giving problems. Any ideas as to why this is acting up? I'm really curious as to see if I can get it to work on my computer.

Okay some new info -

I tried the Kalyway version of 10.5.2 and the installer booted up with 0 problems, however, it does not detect my RAID. I have OSX drivers for the RAID, however I have no way of using them as I do not know how they would be loaded into the installer.

I think I have the drivers anyway. There were two options at the manufacturer's site, and they are as follows:

Directory:

Files:

- ARC1200BIOS.BIN

- ARC1200BOOT.BIN

- ARC1200FIRM.BIN

Directory:

MacPro_EFI_BIOS

Files:

- ARC1200EFI.BIN

I successfully installed Striped RAID

Checkout link under my sign

The problem I have is that I have Vista on my comptuer (well that and Ubuntu) and not OSX. Your walkthrough seems to be assuming that OSX installer can identify the drives in question, or have an OSX installation? (I could be wrong). The installer doesn't see the drives in the first place (as far as I can tell).

The RAID I have is a dedicated hardware RAID card found here to clear up confusion.