10.5.1 installs succesfully but won't boot

Agent24

6 posts in this topic

I am using Zephyroth's 10.5.1 AMD DVD image, I can install fine, I get the big "installation succeeded" tick and screen at the end but when the PC restarts - nothing happens.

It's like the bootloader wasn't installed or something. I think I need to manually install it. How can I do this? is this even the problem? or is it likely to be something else?

Here's the hardware I'm using:

MSI K8N SLI-FI (nForce 4, Socket 939, BIOS 1.8, MS-7185 v1.0)

AMD 64 3700+ (Single core, 2.2ghz)

1GB RAM (2x512 Dual Channel DDR400)

Hard drive: 15GB Quantum Fireball (IDE - duh!)

DVD Drive: Asus DRW-1608P3S (IDE)

nVidia Geforce 8600GT (256MB, PCI-E, Gigabyte)

Other than that I don't really know what else to put. I'm not sure if this problem is even hardware dependant. But hopefully someone here can help me :(

If your OSX partition is the active one and if you have the DVD inside and don't press any key, it should boot (you just load the bootloader from DVD).

If you are able to boot like that, then you can install manually your boot loader on disk:

- boot single mode from CD (-s option)

- /sbin/mount -uw /

- fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

>update

>write

>quit

- reboot

If still not booting, the is a problem with MBR, you have to rebuild your partitions (recomended to make it fat32 first and then convert it to hfs+)

I tried leaving the DVD in the drive and just waiting, it does not boot then. I get this error:

System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found
_

When I had installed OSX I had completely blanked the drive with maxblast first (full zero all sectors), wrote a single new partition in the setup - and used GUID.