how do i set a drive to read only?

mrbonkers

4 posts in this topic

i want to set on of my external drive partition to read only because i do not want the system to write any .ds_store file inside that partition. because that partition holds my modified installation dvd. when i format my hackintosh, the drive becomes "read and write" and i have to set it to read only again.

i want to set on of my external drive partition to read only because i do not want the system to write any .ds_store file inside that partition. because that partition holds my modified installation dvd. when i format my hackintosh, the drive becomes "read and write" and i have to set it to read only again.

make a NTFS partition on external, those are readonly by default

So what exactly are you asking? You want to set the device itself to read only? Short answer... you can't. You can set the filesystem to read only, but only after it has been initialized.